Switched from HDMI to USB Screen but now only console access

Sorry if I am not doing this right. I very new to Octoprint as well as this forum I am running OctoPrint 1.8.6 and have had Octodash running with an HDMI trouchscreen with no issues. However I need the HDMI touchscreen for another project and am trying to use a screen that uses a USB input only and the USB input screen does display the Raspberry console I see a "No Display Detected" message during the console load process and it never loads Octodash and only gives console access.

Would anyone know how I can get it to detect the USB screen in the same manner it does HDMI screens please?? I'm paralyzed from the waist down with my printer is located in my garage but my pc and slicer is in the house and its killing me having to go back and forth.

Thanks in advance for any help/direction you can provide me with this issue.

USB Screen Specifications: Model No: Model 2/C/T/Sound function/ Touch Function/ DC5V power/ Screen Resolution 800x600(WVGA)/ Viewing Angle 140/120 (H/V): Contrast 500: 1 / Brightness 175-250cd/m2 / Aspect Ratio 4:3 / Input Power: USB (DC 5V) / Power Consumption Less than 5.5W / Dimensions 200x156x25mm / Weight 546g Driver supports OS: Windows 2000 SP4/XP SP2/Vista 32bit/Win7 32bit

Basic screen support is provided by a driver installed in the operating system. In the information you posted, "Driver supports OS:" doesn't list any flavors of Linux including flavors that support a Raspberry Pi.

The Octodash GitHub or more specifically, the Wiki lists the requirements for the screen and doesn't mention any USB-only products.

I never had to install any drivers for the touchscreen that works. I did have to hdmi_enable_4kp60 and even though it's not a 4k screen thats when it started detecting the 10 inch touchscreen that works and I think where I see the "No Display Detected" when I try to use the 8 inch USB touchscreen when it is connected. I have hope though just with the fact the 8 inch does get display access even though it is only displaying the console. I just did not know if there was something easy I did not know about like something similar to the hdmi enable command but for USB screens. I just figured if the USB screen wouldn't work then it would not work at all.I'd be happy to get it working with anything better than console access as I'm not really sure how to control the printer from console.

It's a Pi4b8gb so maybe I can try to get it to load a Raspberry GUI then access the Octopi server from a browser there? I think it should have enough to run a gui and the pi server simultaneously..

I forgot to include this in the initial post but this is the screen I'm attempting to get to work. https://www.amazon.com/USB-Monitor-Model-Touch-Built/dp/B0BNLL9921

The operating system will automagically install drivers for devices it recognizes.

OctoDash says "Basically any screen that works with your device does work with OctoDash as well" but I'm guessing that the Raspberry GUI won't find it either. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

The difference between an HDMI display and a USB display in this case is substantial.

This is sort of true, however it doesn't install them. It comes pre-loaded with kernel drivers for many known devices and those are usually automatically loaded when a device is detected.

The issue here is that there is no way to hook a monitor up via USB. What's actually happening is that the monitor also includes a low end GPU and soundcard (since this one has speakers) that the USB connection goes to and internally the display and speakers are hard wired to those chips.

Supporting a USB GPU is much more complex than supporting a monitor that was plugged into HDMI. It very well may need particular drivers and setup to get it working.

I have been dealing with some pain management issues that has prevented me with working on this further. However I totally forgot that the screen did come with a cd labeled USB Monitor. Which thankfully I found and low and behold the below folders exist on the disk.

Google Photos
^Above image needs to be clicked on to view fully

However I'm such a noob I'm not even really sure how to get the PI to load a GUI let alone get the drivers installed correctly. I know it maybe asking a lot but if anyone knows of a decent step by step tutorial online that they could link me to and I could follow? I would be so grateful for some direction getting out of console and into a GUI just getting the drivers loaded so the print monitor boots up on the USB screen like it does on the HDMI screen.

I have plenty of SD cards so would just leave my existing working OctoPi setup alone until I know what I'm doing on the GUI side. I that I have to do all this to just use a USB touchscreen when the HDMI Touchscreen works flawlessly and was pretty simple to setup.

Being stuck in a wheelchair and not being able to move around much I got into flying FPV rigs as it gives me that feeling of freedom I use to have just from being able to walk around and not having a chair strapped to my ass.

The HDMI screen I have been using on my printer to monitor jobs is actually the screen I use in my car when flying custom HDZero Quad and Wing builds. If anyone is interested in FPV here are a few of those builds. BaTTaN's Profile

Thanks again for the kindness of steering me in the right direction here.

If I were you I'd seriously consider buying another HDMI monitor from the OctoDash recommended list in the wiki (link above).

If you have a spare SD card, then I would install the OctoPi-1.0.0 RC3 release which is linked elsewhere in this forum, use search to find it. When you login (using SSH) to that image, there's some text that prints out including instructions on how to install the desktop. Using sudo raspi-config under Interface options you can enable VNC and under Display Options you can set the VNC headless resolution.

From the image you linked of the CD contents, there is a Ubuntu directory, a Linux directory, and an other directory. If there is a driver that will work, it would be in one of those those directories.

Another alternative would be to download and install the latest official Raspberry Pi OS release. If you use the Raspberry Pi imager, it should be straight forward.

HDMI to USB adapters do exist (HDMI input, USB output)

Not easy to source, as most adapters are the opposite (USB to HDMI) ; but they exist. Here's one :