The braille project

While I'm waiting for another shipment from Adafruit, I thought I'd play with the idea of programmatically creating mesh using JavaScript. I'm not finding many examples but I've actually managed to do something by using the three.js module which normally wants to run client-side in a browser, expects a DOM, a canvas and such.

I've managed to programmatically generate the platform itself but I'll need to play with things to re-orient, resize and such.

The next step will be to take my research in braille to model the character data in some way, accept input text and render that text as a collection of spheres, as embedded in that original platform. It seems straightforward enough. I should be able to generate an STL file then from a CLI interface, slice it and 3D print it.

I managed to code it. The Node-based program will now programmatically lay out the braille text as a mesh file and I've now sliced it in Cura. Hopefully the resolution with a 0.4mm nozzle will work out. It's going to the printer (wish me luck). If this were earlier in the day, I'd do a pause-at-height and make this a two-color print... which would look awesome.

3d-braille repository on github

1 Like

If we were having an OCD contest, the guy who prints braille in color would win

It would probably be lost on the person reading it, I'd guess.

Looks like a good part @ 100mm x 100mm x 4mm. In case you were wondering, that's the alphabet repeated perhaps four times.