The Raspberry Pi Zero 2 was just released and it gets an OctoPrint stamp of approval!

I'm running a Raspberry pi zero 2 w on my Anet ET4 Pro (stock firmware)

since Tuesday this week, and it's working lika a charm :heart_eyes:!

3 Likes

Just picking up on this. I have an Ender 2 Pro. i was running Octoprint on a 3B+ with no problems.

I then swapped to a Pi Zero 2 but at the same time changed to Klipper. At that point, the problems started. It kept just stopping part way through a print. Mostly after less than an hour. The hotend and bed would stay as temp but the printer would be unresponsive from Octoprint and the control knob. No errors.

This morning, I went back to Marlin. Ran a print. Fine. Ran another. Died after an hour.

I'm just running the same print from the SD card. If that works, I'm going to dig the Pi3 I was using out and run that for a day or 2.

But I am starting to question whether the Zero 2 is man enough to run Octoprint with a camera and a handful of plugins. It's the only variable left after lots of hours of successful printing.

Creality printers are known to be very susceptible to EMI as well as being generators of EMI which is a bad combination. The USB connection on the RPi Zero 2 is different than the RPi 3B+ (i.e. not a USB-A) so the cable you are using now is probably different than the one you used on the 3B+.

Is the cable you are using now shielded? Does it have ferrite beads on both ends? Is the RPi Zero 2 in the same position relative to the printer as the RPi 3B+ was?

If you enable the serial.log and capture a failing case, upload the systeminfo bundle so we can take a look at the failure.

Sorry, red herring. Printed fine from the SD card. Figured it must be what I suspected. Set off another print from the SD card. Failed. I've spent all day messing about. I suspect I have a duff motherboard or something else hardware related on the printer.

I unfortunately can't the recommend the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W for Octoprint at all. Having zero problems printing with a Raspberry Pi 4, 3b+ or directly from a SD card. But using the Zero 2 it clearly can't keep up and it's creating huge amounts of blobs etc. This is on an Ender 5 Pro btw.

Already tried removing plugins and removing USB camera without avail. Also as I am compiling the firmware myself I know it contains all the right serial options (buffers etc). The CPU is hardly used so that's not the issue. My guess is it's the USB port but as you can't do a lot about that (maybe a powered USB hub?) I went back to a "normal" Raspberry Pi.

Hello @Yoghoo !

What OctoPi and OctoPrint versions are you using?

A systeminfo bundle could help too

Hi Ewald.

Used OctoPi 0.18.0 & OctoPrint 1.8.2. Made a systeminfo bundle but it does not contain any useful info as it's not connected to a 3d printer anymore and serial.log was not enabled.

I decommissioned the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W btw. Took me an awful lot of time already (and PLA :slight_smile: ) to debug what the problem was. Thought at first it was a calibration, temperature, CPU or a firmware problem.

Seems more people have problems with USB for this Raspberry Pi (not only with 3d printing). IMO it would be better to not recommend the Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W for OctoPrint.

I think these issues aren't just on the Zero. On my Ender 3 V2 I had issues with quite dangerous crashed/stopped prints with a Zero 2W (nozzle sitting on the bed at 200, not moving), so now I just use the print from SD option. Had the same with my previous Monoprice printer too (with a Pi4), and if you Google the zit/blob/crash problem you'll see loads of threads with similar issues, and most people don't seen to recommend running long prints via OctoPrint.

It's a real shame as it's awesome software, but something about the USB connection (or perhaps the baud rates or some kind of incompatibility) on a lot of printers seems to cause issues.

That's odd, I've been using OctoPrint for a very long time and have stayed up to date with every release and converted to python 3 when it was available, etc. and have had zero issues with any length of print.

1 Like

I think a lot of it depends on the printer/firmware. There are lots of posts on Reddit etc about the Ender 3/V2 having issues when printing from OctoPrint (not the SD) and I've experienced them too. Tried with a Pi4, tried removing all plugins etc. I just can't rely on it and it's a real shame, and annoying that other users aren't having the issues. Had the same with my previous printer (which had much more known USB issues so clearly not suitable).

I might try hunting down some different USB cables but that's a bit of a minefield.

yeah, some of the best things you can do is short USB cable with ferrite beads and make sure they aren't routed close to stepper motors or the PSU of the printer to avoid EMI. You are right though, the printer's board itself has a lot to do with this and you just happen to have one of the more problematic designs I think. Creality in general has caused lots of headaches with their hardware design (ie backpowering).