TouchUI-Wave Share 3.5" LCD A Black screen after boot

Hi,

I'm using " OctoPrint 1.3.12 running on OctoPi 0.17.0" on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3 for a month without any problem, decided to install and use TouchUI and bought waveshare 3.5" LCD(A) model, it's connecting to pi through gpio pins, connected the screen and followed this instructions, screen started to work after run commands on instruction, after that installed TouchUI through octo print's web interface and followed this tutorial to start on boot

When restarted the pi, screen turns on, start up lines showing up, TouchUI (blue colored touchui screen) blinking couple of times (it's fading out and fading in), after that sceen goes black and it doesn't do anything if even i touch the screen.

I've installed raspberry's official operating system to find out if this screen works, after run the waveshare's commands screen & touch worked without any problem. But when i flash octoprint, couldn't be able to run touchui.

I'm quiet rookie about raspberry pi and unix based systems,so i don't know why it's not working, any help will be appreciated.

octoprint.log (52.1 KB)

anyone has any thougts?

OctoPi is Raspberry Pi's official operating system (Lite) so it is without the GUI parts (which can be added) and with OctoPrint and a few other goodies preinstalled.

To use TouchUI, you need the GUI parts (which includes a browser) so you will have to add those to OctoPi before it can work. I trust you followed the instructions and tutorial you posted correctly but without some logs (from the operating system), we probably can't help you debug.

Alternatively, you can take your installation of Raspberry Pi's official operating system on which the screen works, and manually install OctoPrint using the fine installation document which I leave as an exercise for the reader to find :smile:.

1 Like

OK b-morgan mentioned something that helped. OctoPi si the LITE version. so when following the waveshare instructions https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/3.5inch_RPi_LCD_(A)

you need to follow the step 2 in the notes!

Note: The Raspberry Pi must be connected to the network, or else the touch driver won't be successfully installed.

chmod +x LCD35-show
./LCD35-show

The touch function will work after restart. For ease of use, you can set the screen orientation, see: #Screen orientation settings.

Notes:

1. Executing apt-get upgrade will cause the LCD to fail to work properly. In this case, you need to edit the config.txt file in the SD card and delete this sentence: dtoverlay=ads7846.
    1. Using with Raspbian-lite, the command of the touch driver installation should be:

./LCD35-show lite

1 Like

I know that this is an old post but as I got here and was lost for a little while, I thought it would be nice to have a link for a solution that worked for me:

It is under Boots to Blackscreen (X11 is using the wrong framebuffer for displaying TouchUI.)

2 Likes