Unable to Run webcamd2 for a Second usb Camera in Octopi 0.17.0

Hi. Is it possible that both camera are connected to the same USB hub? I had the same issue while both cameras were connected through a USB hub which makes it under the same virtual port. made sure each camera is on a different area in the laptop ( I have USB on both sides of the board) and since than everything is working

The Raspberry Pi has 4 connectors that are on one port. Using another port is not possible.
Thanks.

If I connect only one camera it always initializes as webcamd (1) and I see the video in the Control page or web page http://octopi.local:8080.

it always initializes as webcamd (1)

that's because you have not used symlinks as shown in the video.
I think using sysmlinks make it easier to locate the problem. - Carsten

Hi... I struggled a bit with this also. Although I am not running MultiCam but separate instances of OctoPrint on a single Pi, the single most important thing is to do a fresh install of OctoPi on the SD Card. It seems that trying to add-on cams doesn't work well. Chris Riley's new tutorial for 0.17.0 works like a charm.

I was referring to the webcamd daemon not the webcamd2 daemon.

This is what my 99-usb.rules file looks like:

SUBSYSTEM=="video", ATTRS{idVendor}=="046d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0826", ATTRS{serial}=="5755BBA0", SYMLINK+="logitech"
SUBSYSTEM=="video", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1bcf", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0b09", SYMLINK+="borescope"

I do not, however, see those names in the /dev/ folder and I don't know why.

W

Do you have a link to the instructions you used for adding the second instance of Octoprint?

Thanks in advance.

the idVendor and the idProduct or the serial (number) is not correct. They had to match to YOUR webcams. How to find them shows Chris in his Video, I posted before. I think the correct SUBSYSTEM is not video. The correct SUBSYSTEM will be "video4linux"

I am done troubleshooting this issue. 5 days is too much.

Thanks for the support on this.

I am having the same issues.. if I SSH into my octopi I can enable the service by going to the /root/bin/ and entering ./webcam2d (webcam2d is the name I used). it seems to work from then on till I reboot the Pi again.

I also noticed if I enter service webcam2d start I get a authentication request for the root user... it makes me think that the permissions to the webcam2d.service need to be changed or fixed... I'm just not sure how...

this is what I get...

pi@octopi : /root/bin $ service webcam2d start
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.systemd1.manage-units ===
Authentication is required to start 'webcam2d.service'.
Authenticating as: root
Password:
polkit-agent-helper-1: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication failure
==== AUTHENTICATION FAILED ===
Failed to start webcam2d.service: Access denied
See system logs and 'systemctl status webcam2d.service' for details.

Help if you can.

thanks