Unable to upgrade plugins

We got a 2nd printer so bought a second Raspberry Pi. I installed OctoPi on it and then restored a backup of the other OctoPrint device. Had to change a few things and reset UUIDs and such but otherwise it is running fine.

However, I have since found that the 2nd setup of OctoPrint is unable to update any of the 3rd party plugins. I get notified that they need updated and I click to update them and see a bunch of red go by and then the server reboots. They are still showing the old version.

My first thought was maybe a permissions problem? Where are plugins stored that I can compare between the two?

Any other thoughts on how to resolve this?

I also thought I could just copy the plugins from the first setup to the second when they need updated.

I imagine this is probably a simple problem.

Thanks!

-Tim

octoprint-logs.zip (1.5 MB)

Forgot to attach the system info as well.

octoprint-systeminfo-20240425121824.zip (249.1 KB)

That's a weird one. For some reason your plugins aren't showing the full package name.

2024-04-12 15:31:45,526 ! WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoprint-dashboard (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
2024-04-12 15:31:45,526 ! WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoapp (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)

If you SSH to the pi and run the following command, what is returned for these packages?

/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep dashboard
/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep toapp

So, looking through the logs myself I think the plugins are here: /home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages

I looked on the 1st Octoprint and all the files/folders were owned by "pi".

I looked on the 2nd Octoprint and some of the files/folders were owned by "root". I have a hunch that the first time I did a restore I was logged in as root and then anything I did after that as pi was probably blocked.

I reset the owner on all the files/folders there to pi and will see what that does. Can't verify at the moment since I am currently printing.

@jneilliii Nothing actually.

pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/bin $ pip freeze | grep dashboard
pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/bin $ pip freeze | grep toapp
pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/bin $ pip freeze
appdirs==1.4.4
certifi==2020.6.20
chardet==4.0.0
colorzero==1.1
distlib==0.3.1
distro==1.5.0
filelock==3.0.12
gpiozero==1.6.2
idna==2.10
importlib-metadata==1.6.0
more-itertools==4.2.0
numpy==1.19.5
picamera2==0.3.3
pidng==4.0.9
piexif==1.1.3
Pillow==8.1.2
python-apt==2.2.1
python-prctl==1.7
requests==2.25.1
RPi.GPIO==0.7.0
simplejpeg==1.6.4
six==1.16.0
spidev==3.5
ssh-import-id==5.10
toml==0.10.1
urllib3==1.26.5
v4l2-python3==0.3.1
virtualenv==20.4.0+ds
zipp==1.0.0

My bad, did not include the full path to pip...

pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/bin $ /home/pi/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep dashboard
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoprint-printtimegenius (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoprint-dashboard (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoapp (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/bin $ /home/pi/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep toapp
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoprint-printtimegenius (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoprint-dashboard (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)
WARNING: Ignoring invalid distribution -ctoapp (/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages)

Yeah, looks like something in the venv site packages got corrupted somehow. You may have to manually delete those folders and reinstall those two plugins. You could run ls /home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages/* to get the folder names and verify they are named -ctoprint-printtimegenius, -ctoprint-dashboard, and -ctoapp, then use this to manually remove them.

rm -r /home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages/-ctoprint-printtimegenius
rm -r /home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages/-ctoprint-dashboard
rm -r /home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages/-ctoapp

then restart OctoPrint sudo service octoprint restart and then try installing them again from plugin manager.

@jneilliii
I got the Print Time Genius working ok after uninstalling all 3 then removing the directories, restarting and re-installing. But OctoApp and Dashboard were both re-installed and still refuse to update to the latest and still getting the warning messages.

pi@octoprint2:~ $ /home/pi/oprint/bin/pip freeze | grep toapp

I may retry the process in the morning and see if I can get the other ones fixed.

I don't see the "temp" directories anymore, just the actuals.

pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages $ ls -larth | grep dashboard
drwxr-xr-x   6 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoprint_dashboard
pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages $ ls -larth | grep toapp
drwxr-xr-x   4 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoapp
drwxr-xr-x   5 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoprint_octoapp

I found them...

pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages $ ls -larth | grep -i dashboard
drwxr-xr-x   2 pi pi 4.0K Mar 26 10:59 ~ctoPrint_Dashboard-1.19.10.dist-info
drwxr-xr-x   6 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoprint_dashboard
drwxr-xr-x   2 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 OctoPrint_Dashboard-1.19.11.dist-info
pi@octoprint2:~/oprint/lib/python3.9/site-packages $ ls -larth | grep -i toapp
drwxr-xr-x   2 pi pi 4.0K Mar 26 10:59 ~ctoApp-2.0.8.dist-info
drwxr-xr-x   4 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoapp
drwxr-xr-x   5 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 octoprint_octoapp
drwxr-xr-x   2 pi pi 4.0K Apr 25 19:52 OctoApp-2.0.10.dist-info

I will clear out the ~ directories in the morning and see if it goes back to normal.

This morning I uninstalled the Dashboard and OctoApp plugins and deleted all the directories including those two ~ ones. Rebooted. Re-installed the plugins and now all is good. They are running the latest versions and no updates are available anymore.

Thank you for your help!

-Tim