Update OctoPi from 0.17.0 to 0.18.0

Hi everyone,

I have OctoPi 0.17.0 with 1.5.3 Octoprint running on my RPi4. Just wonder :
1 - Do a need to update to 0.18.0 ?
2 - If yes, how without starting from a virgin setup ? Is it possible to update OctoPi to 0.18.0 with a script or/and some ssh commands ?
3 - Plugins and Octoprint will continue to receive updates on 0.17.0 ?

Thanks for your lights !

It's not necessary, but you can do a backup of your existing setup and as long as the file is less than 1GB you can restore it after flashing octopi 0.18 in the first step of the setup wizard.

Thanks for your answer. How I backup my actual octopi setup ?

You can backup OctoPrint using the built in backup and restore feature, OctoPi is an OS image - you can image it, but that would keep it at 0.17 as a complete 'snapshot' if you like. Otherwise, it is fairly manual taking a copy of whatever files you have on there now.

Thank you. This is what I was afraid to read. So if I want to go to 0.18.0, either I restore all the files modified since 0.17.0 (customizations, optimizations), or I start from a blank 0.18.0 system image ...

It's a shame that there is no possibility to update the OS while keeping its optimizations but I imagine that it is not so simple ...

You can update the OS, using sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade. You can even upgrade to Python 3 using the script, OctoPrint.org - Upgrade your OctoPrint install to Python 3!. That will get you a long way to being inline with the current image, apart from a few things that are added preinstalled, or the new HLS webcam streaming. That's why it's not a necessary upgrade, it is just an easy way to keep the system up to date. Many won't run commands from the terminal, and would rather flash again.

3 Likes

I'm already doing apt update && apt upgrade every month and on Python 3.
You are right. I will stay on 0.17.0 for know. Will see in future if it worth to flash again... :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes