Upgrade your OctoPrint install to Python 3!

Thank you. Is there a github link to the project?

This is the link to the adoption ticket:

The repo is here:

The upgrade worked very well. So simple. Thanks for making the upgrade easy. I did have one issue after the upgrade. Trying to install a new plugin, I got the error message that my OctoPrint was not connected to the internet. I ran through all of the connectivity checks and it was connected. I spent a little time trying to identify the issue with no success. I rebooted Octoprint and the Raspberry Pi several times, no joy.

I decided to manually download the zip file for the plugin that I wanted. It upgraded and once the system rebooted it was working fine.

Thanks to all for making this so super simple.

1 Like

Just need to wait for an update to Filament Manager

Not running it as root solved my issue.

1 Like

@Niamh - Filament manager got taken over by @OllisGit yesterday (maybe the day before), so you're in luck!

Release notes :point_right: https://github.com/OllisGit/OctoPrint-FilamentManager/releases/tag/1.6.0

You should get a notice that it has been transferred, but you need to reinstall as the updates are looking in the wrong place. See plugin notices if you don't get it, at the bottom Plugin notices

OK, so just uninstall the existing filament manager ten install the new one?

If you go to Settings > Plugin Manger > Get More then find 'Filament Manager' there should be a reinstall button beside it :slightly_smiling_face: you may need to check it is not filtered on installed plugins only.

Or if you can't find that, uninstall without cleaning data (you'll lose all your config) then install it again.

I am running .17. I rcvd this error:

E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
ERROR: failed to update package list
Please try manually

Cleaning up...
Fatal error: Exiting

Try updating the package list manually, with sudo apt-get update, that seems an issue with your OctoPi installation - nothing I can do about that.

Also check it is connected to the internet, then if you still need help solving the problem please open a separate topic in 'Get help'.

Definitely connected to the internet
pi@octopi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
[sudo] password for pi:
Get:1 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]
Hit:2 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease
Fetched 15.0 kB in 1s (13.8 kB/s)
Reading package lists... Error!
E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/dpkg/status
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Thanks for the upgrade script.
I found that I had 3 plugins that used python V2, so deleted them first.
The upgrade script worked flawlessly :slight_smile:

I now just have to wait for the plugin owners to upgrade their pplugins to V3

cheers
ian

1 Like

I wish these 4 plugins would be upgraded to python 3

• LayerDisplay (0.4.3) from Matt Thompson
  • OctoKlipper (0.2.5) from Martin Muehlhaeuser
  • Terminal Commands (0.1.6) from ieatacid
  • Webcam Tab (0.1.2) from Sven Lohrmann
    most importantly the Octoklipper plugin.

EDIT: Whoahh, I just realised that after removing the Octoklipper 0.2.5 plugin I could install the 0.3.1 version from Alice Weigt, which is python 3 compatible!!!
Hope that helps anyone
EDIT 2: Success: OctoPrint 1.4.2 Python 3.7.3 OctoPi 0.17.0 (deactivated the three plugins before upgrading with the script).
THANKS

1 Like

Yeah, the Klipper plugin it was adopted officially yesterday. Go and let the plugin authors know that you want Python 3 compatibility, for the others, at some point OctoPrint will drop Py2 support so they need to be made compatible.

On every plugin there is at least one "python 3 upgrade" issue.

my Terminal Commands Extended plugin is Py3 compatible...

1 Like

***Bed Visualizer is gone ***

The Python upgrade worked fine, printing seems to work ( just testing :slight_smile: )

Only I miss the Bed Visualizer, even after installing the plugin again, it does not appear

There should have been a link when installing that plugin that extra action is required. And @jneilliii posted that link in the comments, previously.

1 Like

that worked perfect !!

Many thx

1 Like
21:47 root@pine64 /opt/octoprint# python3 upgrade.py 
This script will only run on python 3.6+
Run using 'python3 upgrade.py'
21:49 root@pine64 /opt/octoprint# python3 --version
Python 3.5.3