Webcam not capturing during prints in Octolapse

Awesome, thanks! I will take a look at this ASAP, but it might take me a few days. It seems a LOT of ppl have gotten 3d printers for the various holidays, and I'm receiving issues at an extremely high rate. Ping me if you haven't heard back within a week, especially since it's difficult to track issues that aren't in github.

Sounds good!
I was told @OutsourcedGuru uses a Robo 3D r1 printer. Perhaps he can provide some insight.
Also, here is the original .stl file, not sure if that is something that could be useful to have.

Just touching base to see if you have tried trouble shooting this issue.

Thanks !!!

@joeyshanks, I have not yet, but it's on my list :slight_smile:

@FormerLurker I know you are busy but I would be willing to tip you $20 to help persuade you to move up on the list :slight_smile:

I know you are busy but I would be willing to tip you $20 to help persuade you to move up on the list

I always welcome new patrons/sponsors (check out the octolapse tab), but cash bounties are not necessary for me to review your issue.

I did look at your issue, but ran out of time to get back with you. Your gcode indicates that your first layer is printing at a height of 0.62MM. See line 35:

; TYPE:SKIRT
G1 Z0.62

Subsequent layers are printing at increments of 0.6mm. Also, there is no priming routine in the start gcode (I'm guessing the skirt takes care of this for you). This is a bit unusual, which is why you were having some trouble probably.

Anyway, set your priming height to something like 1.0mm and it will work.

FYI, if you change your first layer height to something at or higher than 1.0mm, you'll end up with the same problem, so you would need to increase the priming height above the layer height (not equal to) in that case.

If you set your layer height at or lower than 0.5mm, you will end up missing one or more snapshots at the beginning of the print, so just remember about the priming height.

FYI, the reason this setting is needed is that many printers start extruding at, say, 5mm or something. If Octolapse includes that frame, the timelapse will jerk and look ugly. My printer primes a bit higher than the first layer, so form me setting the priming height correctly will prevent the priming line from being interpreted as a separate layer, which then causes Octolapse to miss the first layer snapshot entirely. I may need to think of a better way to handle this, but so far I've not come up with anything better.

I'll see the donate button above. I will sign up for Patreon.

Okay, I will try this. I think the skirt just happened to be set for that particular print I did. I have done plenty with no skirt added to to the G-Code. Maybe I make sure my Z-off-set within my slicer is set to 0.

I'll try your specific sugguestions first. Thanks again!

I have done plenty with no skirt added to to the G-Code.

That's fine, and typically (at least as far as I know) the skirt is always printed at the first layer height, so all this applies even if you have no skirt, since you will always have something on the first layer.

It's snapping photos!!! I think switching the priming height to 1.0mm was the trick. I played around with the Z-offset and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Can finally start to play around now !!

Keep you posted and thanks again!!!

2 Likes