Webcam worked and then I added a second one

Yeah... it was that same thing it was doing for me on the allocation of serial devices. Glad to see that got sorted out.

Hey nigeljohnson73! I've been working through trying to get two microsoft LifeCams working, I'm to a point where I can both working separately, but together only one will work, and I think it's an allocation issue like you were having. What is you added ATTR{index}=="0" to? I tried /etc/udev/rules.d but there wasn't anything in there to edit to add that to. I feel like I'm sooooo close to having these working, thank you!

Hey OutsourcedGuru, I just posted this to nigel, but thought I'd reply direct to you too just in case he doesnt' see it.

I've been working through trying to get two microsoft LifeCams working, I'm to a point where I can both working separately, but together only one will work, and I think it's an allocation issue like you were having. What is you added ATTR{index}=="0" to? I tried /etc/udev/rules.d but there wasn't anything in there to edit to add that to. I feel like I'm sooooo close to having these working, thank you!

Ah ha. Not sure life cams will work, but check the syslog when you plug them in. If you get serial numbers then you're in luck and you can add vendor, product and series numbers to the rules file for each cam.

Have a check on YouTube for Chris's basement. He recently did a good run-through with all the syntax needed (bar the INDEX bit here). If you're not a YouTube fan I'll try and pop back later when I can get to my computer and dig out my rules file.

They do function, only one at a time, which seems to flop on load. The cams show up when plugged in and give me all the info for them. I'll check that part of that video and see if I can get it to work, and let ya know either way. Thanks!

Search on the forum here for udev rules. I've posted about it before. In the case where you have two identical devices you have to go beyond just differentiating by product and manufacturer and to use the serial number of each device as well. The best approach is to give each an alias in the udev rule so that it ends up as: /dev/hans and /dev/chewie, for example.

Neither of my devices have a serial number, is that an issue of it's own?

That's a bit of a problem then. But you might read this.