1.4.0 Breaks Octoprint Webpage

i am (was) running octoprint on a beaglebone black and octoprint v 1.3.12.

i updated from the web portal prompt. upon reboot, the portal loads, gives login screen. upon login, only gives status bar, filemanager plugin tab, and dashboard plugin tab.

does not display settings/reboot options, sidebar. or other standard tabs. also worth mentioning, even though i am logged in, the logout/user settings area still says "login"

Logs or it didn't happen.

Like @fieldOfView said, drop some logs. I personally don't think the logs won't show anything as this has a good chance of being a plugin that's messing with the css in some way.

Did you try it in safe mode? If safe mode works, then you probably have a bad plugin.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. I cannot load logs here for you because I don't have FTP access ATM. I did however review logs in nano ssh and do not see anything that sticks out. How do I go about disabling plugins or running safe mode via ssh?

Lol. I didn't even think of that. Not sure how to do it via ssh, I just know how to do it via the web interface, which isn't going to work for you.

1 Like

The words safe mode here are auto-linked to any instructions necessary for running it at the command line (via ssh, for example).

Personally, I might fetch the log like this:

From my laptop:

scp pi@octopi.local:~/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log ~/Desktop/.

This would copy it from the Pi to my macOS's Desktop folder as octoprint.log.

https://transfersh.com/ Is handy if you want to upload logs from a SSH session :slight_smile:

1 Like

alright, heres a fresh log. i tried safe mode, same problem, so this log is not a safe mode start.octoprint.log (16.2 KB)

Hi. I signed up to report the same thing. In my case it loads the Slicer and Webcam tabs and nothing else and the login up the top still says "login" too. So you aren't alone.

1 Like

Dude, your screenshot is of the Dashboard plugin. It's a relatively-new plugin by an author who now has a total of one plugin under his belt.

If you don't say otherwise, we assume that you've installed via the OctoPi image. So I'm guessing that you're running some sort of Debian rather than Raspbian and that you didn't image from the OctoPi image. The printer safety check bundled plugin is a safety feature, by the way (it's disabled on yours).

2020-03-04 22:53:11,433 - octoprint.server.util.flask.fix_webassets_filtertool - ERROR - Got an exception while trying to apply filter, ignoring file
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/debian/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/server/util/flask.py", line 231, in fixed_wrap_cache
    content = func().getvalue()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py", line 250, in func
    data = StringIO(hunk.data())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py", line 78, in data
    f = open(self.filename, 'r', encoding='utf-8')
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/octoprint/static/js/lib/ResizeSensor.js'
2020-03-04 22:53:12,614 - octoprint.server.util.flask.fix_webassets_filtertool - ERROR - Got an exception while trying to apply filter, ignoring file
  File "/home/debian/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/server/util/flask.py", line 231, in fixed_wrap_cache
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py", line 250, in func
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/webassets/merge.py", line 78, in data
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/octoprint/static/js/app/client/access.js'
2020-03-04 22:53:17,666 - octoprint.server.util.flask.fix_webassets_filtertool - ERROR - Got an exception while trying to apply filter, ignoring file
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/octoprint/static/js/app/viewmodels/access.js'
2020-03-04 22:53:17,910 - octoprint.server.util.flask.fix_webassets_filtertool - ERROR - Got an exception while trying to apply filter, ignoring file
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/octoprint/static/js/app/viewmodels/uistate.js'

Like I said before, try it in Safe Mode and share that version of the log.

"Dude"

i did say otherwise. octopi does not run on a beaglebone, and i have disabled that plugin as its not needed for me and is nagging. just tell me what you need, and il provide it. no need to be condescending.

Safe mode, provide the octoprint.log

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/octoprint/static/js/lib/ResizeSensor.js

This being missing worries me. It's clearly part of the v1.4 release. It's supposed to be installed during the part where OctoPrint is installed.

For me, mine would be under:

/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint/static/js/lib/ResizeSensor.js

...because my OctoPrint is installed in a virtual environment called oprint under the pi user's home directory. But you've got your Python2.7 there under /usr/local/lib which makes me think that everything is installed at the global level.

It probably works like this; I just haven't seen many people doing it that way.

will do . gonna be about a half hour until i can get it.

1 Like

yes, octoprint is installed globally, is installed on a debian distro built for beaglebone black. and worked perfectly before the 1.4.0 release. all installed plugins worked fine beforehand aswell :slight_smile:

i should also note, this bug/problem does not interfere with remote control or printing, just the annoying issue of not being able to admin via the web panel.

this is the process i followed to install octoprint on beaglebone (Just in case the guide is the problem): https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Setup-BeagleBone-Black-Rev-C-(Jessie)

would it be an issue that im running python 2.7 and octoprint recently switched to 3?

Well, a fair amount of Py3-related code made it into 1.4 but it's still supposed to work cheerfully on Py2 and is expected to be the mainstay of installs for the next several months.

You're missing some of OctoPrint or so it seems. Walk through your log and look for "IOError". It just can't find several of the files (where it's looking for them).

You might try to promiscuously search for that file and see if it's somewhere else on your partition.

sudo find / -name ResizeSensor.js 2> /dev/null

Let that run for a while. It will try to find that file anywhere on that partition. It knows where it thinks it's supposed to be. Let's see if it's somewhere else like /home/debian/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/...

here is the safemode log. i will do the search in a momentoctoprint.log (19.3 KB)

EDIT:
search completed.
/home/debian/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/static/js/lib/ResizeSensor.js

1 Like

It looks like OctoPrint is now installed in two places: globally under /usr/local and also in your user directory at ~debian/.local. That's probably what's causing trouble here, it's loading files from two different versions and getting confused.

In general a global install hasn't been recommended for years now, precisely due to issues like this during update.

My suggestion is the following.

Short term: fix your install to be global only again. Remove ~debian/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint (I think a pip uninstall --user octoprint should do this but can't test this right now). Then manually update your global install via pip install https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/archive/1.4.0.zip and restart your server.

Long term: get rid of the unrecommended global install and set up a virtual environment for OctoPrint as recommended in all the official install guides.

@ImmortanJoe logs please, and try safe mode (and if you don't know how to achieve both, click on the links please, it's all explained there). I highly doubt you are facing the exact same problem, but to determine that and help you we need more here than just "it doesn't work".

It's working for over 4000 people out there already.

2 Likes

thanks, i will give this a shot.

its possible the other user has the same error. i linked the guide i used to configure octoprint on beaglebone. its still available on the github even though its no longer updated.

Ah, that needs to be nuked from orbit then, to be sure.

nope. the uninstall didnt work, and updating manually has the same result. broken web panel.

do you happen to have directions on how to install octoprint on my beaglebone that i can follow and we will go the -recommended install method- route