[100% SOLVED] Crashing, plugins fail to launch after system PW change

What's happening
I noticed recently that the Octoprint interface would become unresponsive, crash, and need to relaunch occasionally. So far it hasn't impacted any prints, but it's getting worrying and now Octolapse fails to launch and there's a whole host of errors showing up in the log.

I've also noticed that the there is no "users" option in the octoprint options window like there previously was, and the "close" button on the options window no longer seems to do anything?? All I can see is that it's triggering a Chrome console browser error.

Recent changes
The only thing I can think of is that changing my "pi" user's PW from the default which I was kind of lazy and left as is for a couple weeks. But I've made several other recent changes like expanding the disk partition, updating my version of klipper, and installing a few plugins but I've performed these actions on other octoprint installs without issue so clearly I've mucked something up. I know I should probably make a habit of checking the log after each.

What I've tried
I've tried to parse through my log and google errors starting from earliest to latest in the log during the startup phase, but haven't had much luck in solving them. Safe mode has a slightly different story:

In safe mode...
There are no browser errors (other than warnings about needing to use MutationObserver) and the options menu closes out normally when you click the "close" button. However, there are still errors in the startup log and the "users" configuration options seems to be missing from the setting menu.

I've included an octoprint log from before and after starting in safemode, just in case one was rolled over and didn't include everything from both events. Also attached a browser console log (in a messy stitched together png because for the life of me I could not find an export function). There are no octo terminal or klipper errors to include.

System info
List of plugins and their versions:

  • OctoPrint** : 1.4.0
  • Active Filters Extended** : 0.1.0
  • Custom Background** : 0.10.1
  • Filament Manager** : 0.5.3
  • Fullscreen Plugin** : 0.0.4
  • LayerDisplay** : 0.4.1
  • Octoip Plugin** : 0.1.0
  • OctoKlipper** : 0.2.5
  • Octolapse** : 0.3.4
  • Print Time Genius Plugin** : 2.2.1
  • Pushover Plugin** : 0.3.3
  • Sidebar Webcam** : 0.1.7
  • Tab Order** : 0.5.6

Running Octopi version: 0.17.0
Raspberry pi model 3b
Printer mainboard is a Wrecklabs Printhat.

octoprint_no_safemode.log (46.6 KB) octoprint_safemode.log (2.5 MB)

Update: I have determined a few things.

  1. Octolapse had a corrupt settings file. Somehow the last 200 or so lines were truncated causing it to error out on-load. Deleting the settings file allowed it to regen, and it's happy now. Maybe it got rebooted mid-update? I have barely touched Octolapse yet so I doubt it's something I misconfigured...
  2. PrinttimeGenius plugin had a list index error causing issues on the frontend. My theory is that it doesn't like that I uninstalled the DisplayInfo plugin that it ties into and some now non-existent menu option persisted after uninstall. "close" btn works properly and no longer throws browser console errors
  3. Cura was causing the "tornado.access - WARNING" in the log. I really like the ability to print directly from Cura, but closing the app causes the warnings to stop, so I'll likely disable the plugin. :frowning:

The only issue that really persists now is that I still seem to be accessing the octopi instance anonymously. Wasn't there previously a menu option to configure uses in the options? What am I missing here...

Cura was causing the warnings, however, I figured out that

  1. The API key had changed out from under it somehow, refreshing that fixed some of them
    2. Disabling the "automatically discover local OctoPrint instances" option in the Cura Octoprint plugin menu took care of most of the remaining warnings! It must have been constantly trying to poll an endpoint it didn't have proper access as anonymous. Totally unnecessary option if you ask me, but hey at least I figured that out!

Still stuck on the users issue though!


Figured out users/access control in config.yaml. My theory is that the prepackaged Raspi+Octopi+Klipper image my mainboard manufacturer distributed to streamline the setup process had either intentionally disabled first_run in the config or had already run through the wizard before they wrapped it up, because I never set access control to off myself. I totally spaced out and didn't realize the wizard didn't pop up when I first ran octoprint!

Go me!

Nice you got it work. Could you then please: PSA: Please mark the solutions to your topics as such

1 Like

Re-educate Cura with your OctoPrint's API key.