Accessing host files

What is the problem?

While in the browser with Octoprint running on Windows 10, need to transfer local files(gcode) to the SD on the printer.

What did you already try to solve it?

Moving manually onto SD card then printer

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible
Octoprint 1.4.2 running on 32 bit Windows 10 on Dell Dimension 4700

It would be helpful if you would tell us which printer you got. There are several options - depending on the board of your printer and it's firmware.

In some cases I wouldn't recommend it because it takes ages to transfer a few MBs.

Printer is Ender 3 Pro, with original board but upgraded to TH3D FIRMWARE.

Is it the 8 bit or the new 32 bit board?

You do not need to remove the SD card from the printer.
When you drag the files from File Manager to the Octopi window in the browser, I.E. Chrome, or Firefox, you should drag them to the Right side to load them to the SD card in the printer. This is not the best method since Octoprint only displays 8 characters of the filename.
You should drag the file to the Left side of the browser window, the file will go to the Octopi memory and you can print it from there and see the whole filename.

Best Regards
Salty Doug

1 Like

That works only for certain types of boards.
That's why I asked whether it's 8 or 32 bit.

Fixed that for you to avoid misunderstandings.

Whether upload to SD via the described drag-n-drop behaviour in OctoPrint works has nothing to do with 8 vs 32bit though, it depends on whether the firmware indicates support for the sd card protocol parts or not. In any case it will be bog slow.

1 Like

Sry - @Salty-Doug and @foosel are completely right.
For some reason the sd support didn't work for me a few months ago when I switched to 32 bit and I thought that's how 32 bit boards behave and didn't test it again ever since.