Acquiring gc-4.7 and gc++-4.7 on octopi 1.8.1

All of the slicing plugins I've attempted to use require these files but they are absent in the newer versions of pi. Is there a way for me to use my command terminal to acquire these files?

Can you give us more details like which slicing plugins? What error messages are you getting?

I'm familiar with gcc (type gcc --version) but version 4.7.4 was released in 2014 so I must be confused as to what you are asking for.

ok so ive attempted to install both cura engine legacy and slic3r now. Both return the same error something along the lines of E: unable to locate package g++-4.7. ive attempted to install them using the command sudo apt-get install g++-4.7 but it returns the same error saying it cant locate it. im very new to all things 3D printing, i only obtained my machine 2 weeks ago and i have very little prior coding knowledge so im finding the ins and outs rather confusing. There may be a simple solution im missing but i just dont know and cant find any reference material thats up to date and valid. I'm using the newest release of octopi 0.18.0 on a pi 3 model b hooked up to a creality ender 5 pro printer. My goal is to create an all in one terminal so the students can just transfer an stl file onto the pi and have it slice and print. take out the need for them to line up one by one with an sd card and cut down on a heap of time

You have two topics open for the same issue, this one and Creating an all in one terminal. I suggest that this one be closed and we continue in the other one.

1 Like

Unfortunately you are asking the wrong question here.
g++-4.7 isn't supplied on recent Raspberry Pi os (which is what OctoPi is) because it's not going to be compatible with the rest of the libraries on the system. For compiling c++, which is what you need g++ for, you have to match the version of g++ with what the distribution supplied libraries use.
Even if you got ahold of that specific version, it wouldn't work for you without 'recompling the world.' (ie. every standard library on the system would need to be rebuilt)

For gcc it's very rare that you'd need a specific version. Most cases would have a minimum version required and some rare cases a maximum version.

What you need to be looking for is how to build your software of choice on a modern version of Raspberry Pi OS, which is based on Debian.

To get the modern versions of gcc and g++, plus a lot of other things you'll most likely need, you simply:

$ sudo apt install build-essential
1 Like

So when a program or in this case plug-in asks specifically for 4.7 is there a way for me to reroute that to a more current version or does it just mean the plug-in is out of date.
Or coercly does yuor explanation mean that i can just alter the setup code to a newer version? ie.
sudo apt-get install -y git libboost-all-dev libboost-geometry-utils-perl libboost-system-dev libboost-thread-dev git-core build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libwx-perl libmodule-build-perl libnet-dbus-perl cpanminus libextutils-cbuilder-perl gcc-4.7 g++-4.7 libwx-perl libperl-dev libextutils-cppguess-perl libeigen3-dev libglew-dev libglewmx-dev cpanminus
becomes as an example:
sudo apt-get install -y git libboost-all-dev libboost-geometry-utils-perl libboost-system-dev libboost-thread-dev git-core build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libwxgtk2.8-dev libwx-perl libmodule-build-perl libnet-dbus-perl cpanminus libextutils-cbuilder-perl gcc-4.9 g++-4.9 libwx-perl libperl-dev libextutils-cppguess-perl libeigen3-dev libglew-dev libglewmx-dev cpanminus

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.