Adding a usb WiFi to pi4 I believe it is Realtek

What is the problem?

What did you already try to solve it?

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)Hi

Is it possible to add a usb WiFi antenna to my pi4?

How do I do it please. Go gentle I’m old

Sure. :slight_smile:
Do you know which chipset is used or the exact model of the usb dongle?

Btw - you know that the pi 4 got dual band wifi, right?

I would not suggest adding a wifi dongle to a Pi 3B, 3B+, 3A+ or a 4B. The embedded chipset will use less power than the dongle version, the drivers will work better, it won't do weird things with the Energystar code (trying to save you power).

The Pi4 has embedded and very good WiFi, you only need a second WiFi adapter if you are trying to do something on an Octopi you really shouldn't try to do :slight_smile:
If you are trying to extend the WiFi reach of your Pi, don't bother, extend your WiFi from your Access Point, one way I would try would be a mains range extender - which uses the mains wiring to connect Ethernet devices - but you'll need a pair, one at your Access Point and one with your Pi. I've tried them and they add a massive amount of latency - lag - in the network connection - I'd only use those as a LAST resort. If you can, use an Ethernet cable to link your Pi to the network, for the following reasons:

1. Its faster, easier and more reliable than WiFi
  2. You can get flat ethernet cables that will go through gaps in window seals, under carpets, doors - I use white ones that blend in with the decoration :slight_smile:
  3. There's far better performance on a wire - because both ends can talk to each other at once, this is full duplex - whereas WiFi is half duplex and is vulnerable to interference from microwaves and is shared with all your other WiFi devices - phones etc.
1 Like