Adding files to watched, from NAS - permission

When I'm mounting the octoprint watched and uploads folders on my Synology NAS, the only way I have managed to add it properly is with the username 'pi' and the password for my octoprint user (octoprint user name is not 'pi') But still, it seems like the folders are read-only, since I get a "you don't have permission .." when trying to add files to the folders. Does anyone know how I can solve this?

I've just set some shared folders on my Synology. For the ones that work I had to make sure that there was a local user 'pi' on the Synology and the shared folders had read/write access for the user 'pi' using the 'Shared Folder' app.

I created a folder in the pi home folder called 'NAS', i.e. '/home/pi/NAS', and modified the /etc/fstab file using SSH and the nano editor to map the share on the NAS to this folder like so...
//myServer/3DPrinting /home/pi/NAS cifs vers=3.0,credentials=/home/pi/.smbcredentials,rw,uid=pi 0 0

This is all on one line with tabs between the main sections.

I created a credentials file in the pi home folder called .smbcredentials with username and password in it. The '.' at the beginning of the file name makes the file hidden.

username=pi
password=your_pi_password

Make sure it is only accessible by the 'pi' user by modifying the permissions with the command 'chmod 600 .smbcredentials'

Test it mounts by using the command 'sudo mount -a'

If it works then on reboot it will be made permanent.

In the folder settings of OctoPi I then use something like '/home/pi/NAS/OctoPi/timelapse' for the timelapse folder. Eveything under the 'NAS' folder should be accessible.

The password is the same as the pi user on OctoPi. I made sure that sub-folders were explicitly owned as well by using the 'FileStation' app. One problem with this is that the latest DSM will complain that 'pi' as a username is a security risk because it is too short.

This is mostly from memory but I hope it helps.