Alternatives to Ubuntu

I've got my laptop back and want to install a Linux OS. What one would you recommend besides Ubuntu?

1 Like

Debian with cinnamon desktop :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good hint! I'm trying to get an image that can boot on my laptop.
The have just a efi folder...
I like to do a netinstall

Edit:

Curious: On a Core i7 the i386 image does not work, but the amd64 does

Tbh I never tested a i386 image :smiley:

I would go with the cd image. It also downloads needed stuff.

Do you need anything special in order to get it to boot?

AMD64 is the correct choice for a 64 bit intel as well as 64 bit AMD.

AMD got to name it because they got there first in linux world.

1 Like

I first thought I need the i386 iso but the amd64 works _ see post of @FPS_Budd_Dwyer

This is a great source.list generator
https://debgen.simplylinux.ch/

So you can install Non-Free packages like drivers and stuff :slight_smile:

Just what I needed - thanks a lot!

1 Like

I recently put Ubuntu Server 19.10 64-bit on a Pi4 and it seemed to work out well. I'm guessing the desktop version would be solid enough. I'm not sure if I'd recommend other Linux-y operating systems other than Debian at the present.

I'm using Linux Mint to run both OctoPrint and Home Assistant on a dedicated PC. It runs great. Much better than the Pi. Although that may be because of the SSD.

1 Like

I have noticed an actual speed improvement on the Pi4B between Class 6 and Class 10 microSD cards, for what it's worth. So yes, improve the microSD read/write access and you'll notice this.

Ubuntu is a bit more user friendly than Debian, plus they get newer packages out much faster than Debian. I still use Debian on my main machine but a couple of others (that I don't rely on as much) are ubuntu. Mostly thanks to nVidia and their AI tools.

1 Like

I needed 64-bit to do some assembly language testing so Ubuntu was one of the only players yet in that space. Giving their funding, it feels like they're leading the pack.

Y'all do know that ubuntu is built on top of Debian, as most distros are.

1 Like

Right you are, dude. I guess it's a little sad that they're not pushing their cool 64-bit drivers back to the Debian folks.

1 Like

I prefer Manjaro, but it's a rolling release distro, which means many updates. But for that, you get more or less always the latest software, Linux kernel and the possibility of installing software from the AUR.

Debian is very opinionated (zealot-level) on what constitutes free vs "non-free" software, and they don't do the latter in the main Debian distribution. Lots of the companies that put out links graphics drivers, for instance, only release the compiled binaries, and not the source, and those don't qualify as "free"

"But they give it away, for FREE!!" you might say. And you'd be right, if you meant it's free as in monetary cost, vs freedom (of speech).

Debian devotees have some strong opinions on this stuff, but with Debian's reach, they're holding a line that helps keep the software world from closing back up into a pay-for-everything model. They're doing good work.

Also, Linux Mint is an even-more-friendly version of Ubuntu, fwiw.

1 Like

I've personally got an 80:20 rule: I tend to give away the generalized 80% and charge/privatize the business-specific 20% part to those who can pay for it. I'm glad that my "bread and butter" isn't rolled into someone else's operating system and freely distributed, for what it's worth.

1 Like

Maybe not too late - Ubuntu is the most popular BUT it takes a quite big amount of RAM/CPU. Debian - I wouldn't install it as a desktop. Consider (best->worse, of course in my opinion):

• MX Linux
  • Linux Mint
  • Manjaro
  • Deepin

Thanks for the lot advices!
It is meant for a laptop - and for I'm still in the finding phase - it is no problem to do a test install of various distributions.