Anycubic upgrade to marlin

Hello! I'm totally new to the 3D printing space. I have just received my AnyCubic i3 Mega and this upgrade kit to a Mega S from ebay (no affiliate link's) I have calibrated my extruder and it's already printing 100 times better than before! But I really want to try and upgrade the firmware to some Marlin variant that has the auto bed leveling feature for even better prints. I have been searching a bit and some say their are 4 different versions of my printer and I should watch out for what firmware I flash on it in order to not brick it.

So my question is; How do I know what version of the printer I got? And what firmware to flash on it? I have been looking a bit at the Firmware Updater and Marlin Updater plugin - but I don't know what flash method to choose in the Firmware Updater or how to install arduino-cli version 0.5.0 for the Marlin plugin. As I'm currently running Octoprint from a docker as I only have one pi, and it's running some other stuff too.

I really hope someone can help me out. I would appreciate it!

Best regards,
Bryde

All I can show you is the stock marlin config for the Anycubic i3 for marlin 2.0.X

and the marlin fork from Anycubic for the i3 Mega

I would compare the configs and see if the marlin stock config fits.

But I'm not familiar with your printer and can't help you futher.

Often the differences between different printer models aren't that much different in the config. Sometimes it's just another display, sometimes it's not even something technical like new rubber feet.

But as I said I don't know your printer and the other models of it.

Thank you for your reply! at least you could find the stock firmware for the i3. I could not find it when searching the internet thin last night! So thank you very much for that!

Their is so much to look through on my own. Their must be someone know know the short "simple" answer. I mainly wanted to know how to check out what my hardware is. And what I can use to flash it. I'm sure the "stock" marlin firmware should be sort of safe to flash on it since anycubic is using it for their printers.

But again. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

You ought to be able to run an M115 from the OctoPrint Terminal tab to see what the firmware reports back.

Flashing your firmware is a little tricky if you've never done it before. I would advise you to learn how to back up your existing firmware (or to first identify and then download what you have now first by fetching it from your manufacturer's support site)...

...which then makes me ask why you're not on their support site asking firmware-flashing types of questions? Try them first and see what they have to say on the subject.