Backup Restore not working

What is the problem?
I have two backups from my Octoprint server. One with just settings and the other with everything I had before I updated.(Which crashed my OctoPrint.) when I try to restore just the settings I get an error. When I try to restore everything it sits there for hours upon hours

What did you already try to solve it?
I tried to upload the backup and use the wizard. I tried to restore the file to my Zero W and it failed. I thought it was that hardware so I moved to a 3b+ and got the same exact error. I was going to try to manually upload the files but I am not sure where to begin on that one.
Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b+ plugged into my Prusa i3 via USB I was on a Zero w connected direct to the einsy board. I got the same error as below.

Uploading backup, this can take a while. Please wait... Restoring from backup... Unpacking backup to /tmp/tmpvWmV0d...Removing temporary unpacked folderError while running restoreTraceback (most recent call last): File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugins/backup/init.py", line 767, in _restore_backup
configdata = yaml.safe_load(f) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/init.py", line 93, in safe_load
return load(stream, SafeLoader) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/init.py", line 71, in load
return loader.get_single_data() File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/constructor.py", line 37, in get_single_data
node = self.get_single_node() File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 36, in get_single_node
document = self.compose_document() File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 55, in compose_document
node = self.compose_node(None, None) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 84, in compose_node
node = self.compose_mapping_node(anchor) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 133, in compose_mapping_node
item_value = self.compose_node(node, item_key) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 84, in compose_node
node = self.compose_mapping_node(anchor) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 133, in compose_mapping_node
item_value = self.compose_node(node, item_key) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 84, in compose_node
node = self.compose_mapping_node(anchor) File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/composer.py", line 127, in compose_mapping_node
while not self.check_event(MappingEndEvent): File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 98, in check_event
self.current_event = self.state() File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/parser.py", line 428, in parse_block_mapping_key
if self.check_token(KeyToken): File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 115, in check_token
while self.need_more_tokens(): File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 149, in need_more_tokens
self.stale_possible_simple_keys() File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/yaml/scanner.py", line 289, in stale_possible_simple_keys
"could not found expected ':'", self.get_mark())ScannerError: while scanning a simple key
in "/tmp/tmpvWmV0d/basedir/config.yaml", line 598, column 3
could not found expected ':'
in "/tmp/tmpvWmV0d/basedir/config.yaml", line 599, column 1 Restore failed! Check the above output and octoprint.log for reasons as to why.Removing temporary zip

I'm guessing that line 598 of that config.yaml could tell us a story if only we had its contents.

It's the default one. The backup is trying to overwrite it. My guess is that it is either a permissions issue or the file is in use.

Why would the default one be in a tmp directory? It sounds like the offending one was just extracted from a zip file. If I were to guess, I'd say that the file could have gotten truncated mid-line.

Not sure. I restored via WinSCP without issue though. I will blow it out and try again. I tried the wizard several times and it always failed.

When I run the backup part of the plugin, it throws a ZIP file. I can then transfer this over to my workstation, unzip it and then review what's inside:

/basedir/config.yaml

You might want to review yours to see if it's 100% intact or if it's somehow truncated. Or minimally, check out that section that is causing the scanner grief.

I looked at the file using Notepad++. I did not see anything conflicting. I then used WinSCP to upload the files manually to the print server and it worked like a charm. I will look and see what else I can learn on the spare.

I'm going to tag @foosel in case she has any ideas. If your config.yaml from the backup wasn't truncated then it's difficult to say.

Definitely sounds like some corrupted config.yaml in the backup. Could you upload the backup somewhere and send me the link via private message or email to gina -at- octoprint.org so I can take a look? Do not post it publicly.