Best use of C920

I recently got octoprint up and running (via the octopi image), but I'm not happy with the quality (FPS, resolution) of my C920 webcam. How can I get maximum quality out of it?

I've done some research, and from what I see the C920 has built-in h.264 encoding - so ideally the raspi barely has to do anything (I have a 3 B+, and ocotoprint is the only thing I plan on doing with it, so I have some headroom). My questions are, then:

1. How do I make use of the H.264 encoding built-in to the C920? I'd want to have a 1920x1080 30fps stream, and my home network certainly has the bandwidth to support it.
  2. Are there downsides? I have read that browsers can't stream an mp4 (h264) without a plugin - I wouldn't REALLY have a big issue adding a plugin (though I haven't even begun exploring options to view/control octoprint from my iPhone), but I want other things (like octolapse, etc) to not have issues
  3. Where will the network connection over wifi to the 3b+ cap, and will it cause issues if the webcam is using all/most of it? I'm running 802.11ac, I've got 700mbps down through wifi on my laptop, but I very much doubt that kind of throughput is possible over the pi's wifi. Basically I'm asking "where am I going to run into issues"?

Thanks!

2 Likes

any one?
Im stucked one default low resolition to =(

Any updates on this . I also have a c920 and I'd like to use h264.

I'm sure the original folks on this thread have moved on in the last couple of years, but for anyone stumbling by, setting camera_usb_options="-r 1920x1080 -f 10" in /boot/octopi.txt will get you better resolution. When upping the framerate, I found the preview in the browser to stutter and lowered it back down. I don't need high fps, so I have not troubleshot whether it was the browser or the Pi that was unhappy with 30 fps.

2 Likes