/boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt does not exist on a fresh install on SD card - Solved!

What is the problem?
No /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file created to edit for WiFi setup
What did you already try to solve it?
I have read the FAQs and watched several youtube videos on setting up OctoPi. A google search has returned no answer for me. No one seems to have had this issue. I have looked in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf. But because there is no /boot/octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt it can't link to a non-existant file

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)
There are no logs because this install has not been run on the Pi yet.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)
OctoPi Vers buster-lite-0.17.0. Will be run eventually on a Pi 4b. flashed to a new unused SanDisk 64gig micro SD card. Flashed with etcher 1.5.88 on Ubuntu 20.04LTS. File searched for as usr and as root through nautilus file manager.

How can I create a copy of the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file? What parts do I need to make it function for my WiFi? Or do I have a bad image file installed on my SD card? Do I need to run OctoPi on my Pi 4b to create the file?

I seem to remember that after I'd flashed OctoPi, wpa-supplicant.txt was in the root of the partition that was readable from the PC, on boot it gets copied.

I just flashed OctoPi today using Etcher. The octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file is in the disk root, the installation instructions also mention the same thing.

The OctoPi image contains two partitions on the SD card. The first partition is small, is formatted as FAT32, and contains the files that will be the /boot folder including octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file. The second partition is larger (and will be expanded to fill the card when booted on the RPi), is formatted as Linux (type 83), and contains the root (/) file system (i.e. everything except /boot).

The reason for two partitions is so that the FAT32 partition can be read/written equally well by Windows, MacOS, and Linux. When you initially write the SD card, you may need to remove the SD card and insert it again so that the host will reread the partition table. You also need to cancel any dialogs (on Windows) that ask to format the "unknown" partition.

When inserted on a Linux system (LinuxMint in my case), it mounts as two partitions and the relationship between the two partitions is not established yet (i.e. there is a /boot on the larger partition but it is empty). You will find octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file in the smaller partition (which is labeled boot on my system).

Hi,

Thank you for the help!
b-morgn hit the bullseye. I needed to unmount and remount the SD card for /boot to show. I incorrectly thought Nautilus would show everything on the SD when opened by Root.

Thank you again to all who helped! You taught me new things.

I had the same experience today on a Win 10 Surface Pro 4. I hadn't updated octopi in a while so I started with the latest image and the latest Etcher. Every time, no /boot directory or octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file. I downloaded again, blew away Etcher and reinstalled, checked the MD5, still wouldn't work. On a hunch I downloaded Win32DiskImager, reimaged the SD card and hey presto, everything was right with the world again!

Hello @walleye!

Could you please do: PSA: Please mark the solutions to your topics as such

1 Like