Can not get to Octoprint after reboot

Hey...I have setup Octoprint on a Raspberry PI 3 ran the configuration and can get on to Octoprint using 192.168.1.116. I go through the configuration and everything seems fine. I go to Tools and Shutdown. The next time I login, it tells me to check the log or restart the service. (btw the IP is the same) There is nothing in the log, and when I start the service I get the same messages when I try to login through the browser (Safari). The only way to get back on is to rebuild and start over. How can I get around this? (oh and I'm using the current build 0.15)

I believe that this might be a network issue. I have something comparable, and can only get round this by disconnection from my Wlan and reconnecting with my notebook.
Then everything works fine.
Without the disconnect/connect i can surf the internet, but am not able to reach all IPs on my local network. I am using a fixed ip on my pi and on my notebook.

Perhaps you can check this.

It sounds like you're on an OSX-based computer, given that Safari is involved. Usually the Raspi broadcasts its hostname via the Bonjour service, so a Mac should be able to reach it by name in a case like this. Try to ping octopi.local and/or ping 192.168.1.116 from your Mac—normally, both these should work for you.

If the ping doesn't work then treat this like a network-related problem. Assuming that you are using a dynamically-issued DHCP from your router, the router should set things up with the correct IP address as well as DNS server(s) and netmask.

Can you ssh into the Raspi? ssh pi@octopi.local or ssh pi@192.168.1.116. From there, the log would be here: ~/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log. You could see if octoprint has automatically loaded after a reboot with this: ps -ax|grep octoprint. The first line below indicates that it has loaded upon startup.

485 ?        Sl   133:45 /home/pi/oprint/bin/python2 /home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint serve --host=127.0.0.1 --port=5000
20325 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto octoprint

Hi...Thanks, but this is what I get:

Pinging both octopi.local and 192.168.1.116 work fine!

The log file has a tone of stuff in it, so not sure what I'm looking for

When I do the ps -ax|grep octoprint I get what you have above.

Very stumped, please help :frowning_face:

BTW...After it gives an IP address the following comes up:

ok Stopped HAProxy load balancer.
Starting HaProxy Load Balancer
OK Started /etc/rc.local Compatiblilty
FAILED Failed to start HAProxy Load Balancer
Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen
Starting Hold until boot process finishes up...

Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 octopi tty1
octopi login:

For your previous post, then it looks like OctoPrint is running and it's bound to an IPv4 address and further, your computer is able to do name resolution to lookup octopi.local and turn it into 192.168.1.116 as is expected. Now, it's entirely possible that I just helped you since ping is known to push what it finds into your arp cache, making this easier. You might try again to see if you can reach http://octopi.local from Safari.

The log you're showing me here in the next post looks like the output of /var/boot.log and looks normal to me. In case you're interested, another way to verify whether or not OctoPrint is running would be to do this command and just look for the daemon: cat /var/boot.log:

[  OK  ] Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
[  OK  ] Started Raise network interfaces.
         Starting LSB: OctoPrint daemon...
         Starting LSB: webcam daemon...
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Autogenerate and use a swap file.
[  OK  ] Started LSB: OctoPrint daemon.
[  OK  ] Started LSB: webcam daemon.
[  OK  ] Started LSB: Switch to ondemand cpu governor (unless shift key is pressed).
[  OK  ] Started dhcpcd on all interfaces.
[  OK  ] Reached target Network.
[  OK  ] Started VNC Server in Service Mode daemon.
         Starting HAProxy Load Balancer...
         Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
         Starting Permit User Sessions...
[  OK  ] Reached target Network is Online.
         Starting /etc/rc.local Compatibility...
         Starting Samba NMB Daemon...
         Starting LSB: disk temperature monitoring daemon...
My IP address is 2600:8801:9908:a200:17ea:82c4:c397:e962 
[  OK  ] Started Permit User Sessions.
         Starting Light Display Manager...
[  OK  ] Started LSB: disk temperature monitoring daemon.
         Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
[  OK  ] Started Configure Bluetooth Modems connected by UART.
         Starting Bluetooth service...
[  OK  ] Started HAProxy Load Balancer.

------------------------------------------------------------

You may now open a web browser on your local network and 
navigate to any of the following addresses to access 
OctoPrint:

http://2600:8801:9908:a200:17ea:82c4:c397:e962

https is also available, with a self-signed certificate.

------------------------------------------------------------

[  OK  ] Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
         Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen...
         Starting Hold until boot process finishes up...

That login prompt is to be expected if it's on the same computer. What you'd do next would be to use your Mac's Safari and go to http://octopi.local.

HAProxy is what listens on port 80 and sits in front of OctoPrint. If that doesn't start properly that explains why you can't connect to it.

Check /var/log/haproxy.log, it might contain information as to why the service is not starting up anymore.

So i have had octopi running on my rpi4 for months (~6) i just leave it on bc why not. I did a print 3 days ago. No problem. Then my rpi got unplugged (new puppy problems) plugged it back in. Came up with same IP address and now when i try to connect vua my laptop like normal i keep getting connection timed out. Ive updated firmware on my rpi, rebooted, reset router, restarted laptop, and i just cant get back in. I have the rpi connected to a monitor so i can see that it's acting normally. Any help would be great

First suggestion is to start your own, fresh, issue. When you do that, a template will be provided which you should make your best effort to fill out as completely as you can (blue text strings are links for more information).

When an Raspberry Pi is powered down unexpectedly (i.e. without a proper shutdown first), there is a non zero probability that the SD card will get corrupted. A regular backup strategy can minimize the effects. I have a USB SD (and microSD) card adapter so I can clone the primary SD card.

1 Like