Can't create new thread - octoprint no longer responds

What is the problem?

I loaded my raspberry pi with the latest image of OctoPi via the raspberry pi Imager. I restored my backup and all functionality works fine for a while (between 1 and 3 days so far - I guess it depends on print load).

After this while, the printer shows as disconnected, and the connect button doesn't work. trying to "Restart Octoprint" and this error is returned

{"error":"Command for core:restart failed: can't start new thread"}

When I log into the box, there are about 350 threads running (as opposed to 45 after a reboot). There are a lot of octoprint serve processes running, but I can't tell if there are significantly more than after a reboot.

Can someone provide some insight as to how I can find out what's going on, without "it's an octopi problem" please :slight_smile: I've checked on their forum and bug lists and they have minimal reference to this, as it is here.

What did you already try to solve it?

Not really sure where to start. I did do another fresh install from the raspberry pi installer, but nothing better, restarting my browser just reconnects to the failed instance. Starting in safe mode seems to just delay the problem.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes, once.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No, it just delayed the issue by a couple of days (only tried it once).

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20211127090245.zip (98.1 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Printer: Prusa Mk3s+ running 3.10 firmware. Client running Chrome (Mac and Win10) and Edge (Win10) (latest versions of both). Raspberry pi 4 running OctoPi 0.18.0, OctoPrint 1.7.2, Python 3.7.3

It seems octoeverywhere has some issues:

2021-11-26 20:47:27,530 - octoprint.plugins.octoeverywhere - ERROR - Exception in OctoEverywhere's main RunBlocking function. ex:can't start new thread

These lines are all over the place.

You may disable that plugin and try again.

You also may check if your Pi has Internet connection:

2021-11-27 07:47:50,720 - octoprint.plugins.announcements - INFO - Looks like we are offline, can't fetch announcements for channel _important from network
2021-11-27 07:47:50,738 - octoprint.plugins.announcements - INFO - Looks like we are offline, can't fetch announcements for channel _releases from network
2021-11-27 07:47:50,765 - octoprint.plugins.announcements - INFO - Looks like we are offline, can't fetch announcements for channel _blog from network
2021-11-27 07:47:50,793 - octoprint.plugins.announcements - INFO - Looks like we are offline, can't fetch announcements for channel _plugins from network
2021-11-27 07:47:50,811 - octoprint.plugins.announcements - INFO - Looks like we are offline, can't fetch announcements for channel _octopi from network

Thanks @Ewald_Ikemann, I'll give Octoeverywhere a disable, but that is the message that pops up on everything once it breaks, not sure it's the cause as it would have been disabled in safe mode. I'll do some more digging there.

The internet connectivity isn't usually a problem, although ~25ms between log messages seems a bit floody... could be a symptom of there being a lot of threads and a temporary outage, or when I rebooted the Pi this morning.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.