Can't get OctoPrint to boot

Hi All,
I've just gotten the parts needed to set up OctoPrint on my Creality CR-10S, but I can't seem to make it work. I grabbed the latest version of OctoPi, wrote it to my SD card using Etcher, configured my network settings, and plugged everything in (Printer + Pi Cam v2). It didn't show up on the network at all after about 10 minutes, so I reflashed the card and tried again. I ended up plugging it in to my TV to see what was showing up, and all that was appearing on the screen was a colour test. I also noticed that the red LED on the Pi was flashing (4 long flashes then 4 short flashes, repeating). I'm pretty new to Raspberry Pis, so I'm not really sure where to go from here.

As far as my setup goes, I grabbed the most recent OctoPi build from octoprint.org, and I'm using the stock firmware for my CR-10S. I have the latest version of the Pi (3 B+) if that makes a difference.

As I said, I'm a bit of a newb on this, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Jup, it does. The current stable OctoPi 0.14 isn't yet compatible with the 3+. See this blog post:

Ah, well I guess that explains it then :frowning:

I don't suppose there's any workaround for this yet? While I'm new to the Pi, I'm pretty good (albeit rusty) with Linux, so I wouldn't mind doing a bit of tinkering if it'll make things work.

Regardless, thanks for the info :slight_smile:

You could use one of the current nightlies (that would also help us to determine if they are working well for people). See

Ah, will do! I'll give that a try when I get home tonight and report back :wink:

Or you could install Rasbian or any other flavor of Linux that will operate on the RPI 3+
Then use the Setup on a Raspberry Pi running Raspbian method which will work even on old computer hardware, my Anet A8 is being run by an old smashed screen laptop running xubuntu, and it works GREAT!

I did have to do a bit of tweaking to get the Logitech C270 camera working though.

I can report that the latest nightly build does indeed work (at least for me). Thanks again! :slight_smile:

great news. Just be aware that the nightly builds are not necessarily stable, so don't be surprised if you run into a hiccup. It should all be addressed when the stable release version of OctoPi 0.15 comes out.

i guess this is still an "issue", thou i wonder if its an typo as on OctoPrint.org - Download & Setup OctoPrint it says:

Please note that OctoPi 0.15.1 is not yet compatible with the recently released Raspberry Pi 3A+ and will not boot on it.

I have the 3B v1.2,

will try one of the nightly build, and yes i know they are not stable, but it cant be worse than not booting

the best i could do as troubleshooting is unhook my monitor and take a pic of the screen with the phone

i used the build dated 2018-12-24 18:00:05 UTC

the sd card is a 8GB Kingston class 10

it was formatted with the formatter tool from SD Association

i used full format and not just quick format

the image was written with win32 disk imager

OctoPi 0.15.1 will work on your Pi 3B as is (I'm runningit on my Pi 3B). You do not need to download one of the nightlies, in fact I would recommend that you stick with OctoPi 0.15.1.

It sounds as though the Pi is unable to read your SD card. There are a few things that can cause this:

• Your download of OctoPi was somehow corrupted
  • SD card did not flash correctly (though Win32 Disk Imager should work)
  • The SD card reader you are using is not fully SDHC compatible (some older computers have built-in SD Card readers that don't properly handle SDHC cards. If you suspect this is the problem, try using a USB SD card reader.)
  • Your SD card is bad

Another question for you: What are you using to power your Pi? An inadequate power supply can cause all sorts of problems

2.5A psu i got along with the pi

will test same sd card on another pi

card shows up as SDHC in windows

so will work on the assumption that either download or flash was not successfull

so far it looks like a bad download, card booted on another pi i had, but i forgot to add wifi info so could not ssh in

but the green led flashed a hell lot more :smiley:

yep, bad download here, everything is working fine