Can't get Usb Webcam to toggle her it LED

Hi Everyone ! ,
Two small things to know...;
Totally new on octopi and rasp.
I'm native French and so make probably a lot of mistake when wirtting in English..sorry :frowning:

What is the problem?

Would like to stream my print, got an old Webcam (hercules deluxe optical glass) , this webcam got some led on it, to brighten when it's to dark, and thought it would be perfect to look after my print while away and room is not lighten.
If I can see video from octoprint, the led won't start no matter what...

What did you already try to solve it?

Read lot of things on forum, tried too test with Motion and "uvc" (?!) , but didn't go well, so returned to normal config, and praying :slight_smile:

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

Octoprint is on v 1.3.10
Octopi 0.16.0

Pi is a 3B+

Tried on my compturer to be sure that those led still work about all those years and yeah, but must be triggered by Hercules Software "Xtra" , so maybe there is a way to trigger them from Octopi?
My wife already ordered me a "pi cam" from chinese website.

Its description look like that

Description
l The Raspberry Pi Camera Board Features a 5MP (2592Γ—1944 pixels)
l Omnivision 5647 sensor in a fixed focus module
l The module attaches to Raspberry Pi, by way of a 15 Pin Ribbon Cable, to the dedicated 15-pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface (CSI)
l The CSI bus is capable of extremely high data rates, and it exclusively carries pixel data to the BCM2835 processor
l The sensor itself has a native resolution of 5 megapixel, and has a fixed focus lens onboard
l The camera is capable of 2592 x 1944 pixel static images, and also supports 1080 p @ 30 fps, 720 p @ 60 fps and 640 x480 p 60/90 video recoding
l The camera is supported in the latest version of Raspbian, the Raspberry Pi's preferred operating system

Specification:
l Fully Compatible with Both the Model A and Model B Raspberry Pi
l 5 MP Omnivision 5647 Camera Module
l Still Picture Resolution: 2592 x 1944
l Viewing angle: 69.9 degrees
l Camera angle: Size can be replaced
l Video: Supports 1080 p @ 30 fps, 720 p @ 60 fps and 640 x480 p 60/90 Recording 15-pin MIPI Camera Serial Interface
l Size: Approx. 25 x 24 x 9 mm /0.99 x 0.95 x 0.36 inch
l Image Color: Black

she bought it cause she saw on the name that it can do "night vision" ?!

Maybe better option is to wait for this one???

thans in advance for your time and advice.

I did (an old) step-by-step tutorial for the Raspberry Pi NoIR webcam ("no IR" means that it doesn't have an infrared filter so it can do night vision if you wanted to). It is mostly useful in that it includes many photos to show how to orient the ribbon cable.

Hi ,
That's a nice tutorial :slight_smile:
Will save it for later, as the Pi cam my wife ordered is still somewhere between china and Belgium :slight_smile:

And will hope it's really an NoIR so :slight_smile:

1 Like

For what it's worth, the NoIR comes with a removable red filter that's on there with a pull-off tab. But you can leave that on and combine it with the included blue filter. The combination kind of leaves you with a good color balance with subdued lighting (so don't throw that away in the package).

1 Like