Can't upgrade to newest version

What is the problem?

I'm on a really old version, 1.4.0 and realized I needed to update, but it keeps erroring out.

What did you already try to solve it?

Standard update, Safe Mode Update, SSH to RPi and updating pip, and updating OctoPrint, and also tried to update from command line to 1.5.0 and 1.6.0 hoping I could incrementally step up.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

1.4.0 doesn't seem to have Systeminfo Bundle available, otherwise I'd be happy to provide this.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

OctoPrint 1.4.0, OctoPi 0.17.0, Creality Ender 3, Raspberry Pi 4B Rev 1.2, Chrome on W10

The error log contains the following, but I can't determine why it's failing all options I've tried:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugins/softwareupdate/__init__.py", line 1060, in _perform_update
    update_result = updater.perform_update(target, populated_check, target_version, log_cb=self._log, online=online)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/plugins/softwareupdate/updaters/pip.py", line 116, in perform_update
    raise exceptions.UpdateError("Error while executing pip install", (stdout, stderr))
UpdateError

Thanks for any help anyone can provide, it's much appreciated.

Hello @EShelton !

Your OctoPrint still runs with Python 2.7. Nowadays OctoPrint need Python 3.

You can either

1. Update Python and then update OctoPrint.
  2. Make a backup of the OctoPrint settings and start with a new installation of OctoPi/OctoPrint

For 1:

For 2:

You can find the backup feature in the OctoPrint Settings menu. It's recommended to go with a new SD card

Thank you for the fast response. I started another print job, so will have to wait until that's finished and will give the Python update a shot first. Failing that, I do already have a backup of my OctoPrint, and can easily grab another SD card later today when the stores open and try a fresh install.

Thank you again for the tips, .

Have a Happy Holiday.

2 Likes

Repost because I replied to my last post, not to @Ewald_Ikemann

Well, unfortunately the upgrade to Python 3.9.2 didn't work, and I tried several ways before finally throwing in the towel and just making a fresh SD Card with the newest version of OctoPi/OctoPrint.

The sad thing is, it was faster to create a new SD card, and upload all my files, and set it all back up (including the plugins) than it was to upgrade the Python version, LOL!

Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Thank you again for all your help, it was greatly appreciated, and even if it didn't work out, I learned a few things along the way, so that's always a good day in my book.

Again, have a Happy New Year.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.