Clear PI bad power icon?

Logs probably not needed. My OctoPrint works as it should.
Just 1 question:
Is there a possibility to clear the "Pi bad power" icon?

pipwr

Maybe I'm a little bit blind, but I didn't find one.

It is there when there has previously been an undervoltage event, as a warning that something used to be broken, and maybe it will break again. It is cleared on sever startup.

You can't clear it manually, and should instead look into improving the Pi's power supply.

:worried:

Tht's not so good to me. I always have 1 undervoltage on startup. It's milliseconds only and a switch on of another machine. This doesn't matter, that is validated.
Maybe I'll find a solution. Can you tell me, where OctoPrint get information about undervoltage issue and where is it stored inside Octoprint?

It periodically checks from vcgencmd get_throttled and can calculate the output.

If it is just on server startup, then it will not cause any problems. Although it likely indicates that the Pi is right on the edge of throttling.

I had to disable the undervoltage error on mine. I always get an undervoltage on boot too. It would be awesome if the warning gave the Pi a couple seconds before monitoring. After all, if it really was undervoltage that soon, it wouldn't boot, right?

You could try the boot delay

boot_delay wait for given number of seconds in start.elf before loading kernel. delay = 1000 * boot_delay + boot_delay_ms. Default 1
or
boot_delay_ms wait for given number of milliseconds in start.elf before loading kernel. Default 0

add it to the config.txt in the boot partition of your pis sd card

yes, of course.

At my environment it's a bit more complex: Main power supply for Pi station is a 24V 150W one.
For the Pi only there is a separate DC/DC converter with fixed 5V output / 5A. It's given to the Pi by pin header (not by the USB power socket). Nothing else is connected to this DC/DC. On normal runtime there are no undervoltage warnings.
If some additional machines that are connected to main power supply switched on, this event consumes a bit more power, what makes the Pi DC/DC a bit confuse, what results in a short undervoltage peak. This peak doesn't matter at all. There are no consequences. Pi only makes a note into the log and set flag "there had been 1 undervoltage event happened".
Maybe I could go around by changing the DC/DC converter model. But ... this would be a lot of work, the converter is not really attachable :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. There are lots of parts that would have to be reassembled first. And in real it's just cosmetics.
It's an issue to me because the OctoPrint "Pi undervoltage detect" always makes me nervous.

Well it is undervoltage, since it wants 5V. If the warning is triggered then it has dropped below 4.65V. It is a warning that it is getting close to a brownout, not quite that it won't boot. Go a bit less than that and it won't boot at all - can't remember the specific measurements but it's not far off.

Personally, I would suggest to keep it on, because then if you have an actual problem & it starts flashing constantly then you know how to fix it. It's just an icon in the navbar otherwise, that doesn't really impact much.

1 Like

That's a knowledge part I didn't know yet. To know this maybe will prevent me to become nervous if the icon is shown in black only.

I believe it flashes when there is a current problem, but is solid when there has been one. If you hover over it, I believe it takes you to the FAQ that might have more detail.

1 Like

I see two updates to your system that might help.

First:

Often these DC/DC converters have an output trim potentiometer. If yours does you might want to trim up to read 5.1-5.2 at the output of the DC/DC module. This would take care of things like voltage drop over the cable between the DC/DC converter and your Pi, as well as the inherent voltage drop inside the Pi between the power connector and the power bus of the Pi. (There is a safety component, I think a PTZ thermal fuse but I could have forgotten exactly what it is, that has a very small voltage drop.)

Second:

You might want to put a decently sized capacitor directly on the input side of your 5V DC/DC adapter to help buffer the input power from source dropouts as heavy startup loads are applied to your 24V bus. This, alone, might solve your dropouts, but you may have to play around with the capacitance value to find one that works in your setup. (Make sure you use a capacitor rated for at least 50V, the general rule of thumb for capacitors is a rated working voltage at least twice the expected maximum voltage.)

unfortunately this one not.

Power is given directly to the Pi by pinheader by going around the Pi power module.

But thanks for your "thinking about".
Normally the "switch on power go down" should not do anything, because voltage level doesn't go down much and the DC/DC should work down to around 7 volt input level without problems.
It's just a "bad part of technology". But I didn't know it before build it in. It was just on stock.

Be careful doing that. The MicroUSB port has a fuse to protect from voltage and current spikes. The GPIO headers do not. Powering the Pi this way is a good way to blow your 3.3v converter that powers your SOC. And if that goes, your pi is dead. So, hopefully your power supply is a good one.

1 Like

yes, of course!

I used to get the undervoltage [has happened] warning icon ALL the time. I switched to using one of these on my Pi(s) and have NEVER again had another undervoltage situation show up:

1 Like