Color Mixing using multiple extruders to 1 nozzle

I have a Geeetech A10M and A10T printer. These are mixing printers where I can setup virtual tools and blend colors to make another color. For example, I setup the (VTool T3) for the following (blue filament) 50% E0 or T0 and (yellow filament) 50% E1 or T1 and come out with a dark green blended filament. This works fine, the VTool is setup properly. Works great when connected via USB to printer. BUT, same gcode when run thru Octoprint, it only recognizes E0 T0 as the only extruder. It does not recognize virtual tools.

It works fine if I have a multi color model, they print the colors as told. It is blending of colors that does not work.
Is there a fix for this or will the octoprint app not work this way?

Did you configure 2 extruders in your printers profile?

Yes, I found a previous discussion about this. It turns out that I needed to tell the printer the total number of extruders configured. In this instance it would be 6 (3 physical and 3 virtual). And that I also needed to have them (M163/M164) setup in the startup script for S3D. Thanks for responding!

Andraiser:

Can you explain this a little more in dummy speak for us dummies? In the "Printer Profile" Settings of Octoprint I have set the number of extruders as 3 for my A10T, and selected the shared nozzle check box. Are you saying I need to set the number of extruders to 6 in this dialog?

Also, what M163/M164 commands to I need in the scripts area of S3D?

The Marlin gcode commands M163, M164, M165, and M166 are used to control a mixing extruder. There are examples on the pages linked above.

You assign a mix with M163 and a "virtual tool" with the M164 command. OctoPrint will suppress gcode commands that reference these virtual tools unless it is told that they exist. Therefore you need to tell OctoPrint the highest tool number used. If the extruders are numbered starting at 0, then specify the highest tool number + 1 as the number of extruders.

See https://www.reprap.org/wiki/Repetier_Color_Mixing and https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=6565 for additional information.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I was going crazy because I couldn't get Octoprint to finish multi-color print jobs. I was about to try if printing from SD card still worked but setting the correct number of extruders completely slipped my mind...