Communication error at the start of a new 3D-print

Hi Charlie,

This is my "earning state" so far:

I'm even already the proud owner of "Earned 'First Emoji'"!!! :wink:

Let's see when I will be able to post more than one embedded media at a time...


1 Like

{travel_speed} appears twice in your start gcode, line 14 and again on line 19.

Here's the beginning of my Ultimaker Cura 4.8.0 start code for my LulzBot TAZ 6:

;This G-Code has been generated for the LulzBot TAZ 6 with standard extruder
M107 ; Sliced at: {day} {date} {time}
M107 ; Nozzle Size: {machine_nozzle_size}
M107 ; Layer height: {layer_height}
M107 ; Walls: {wall_thickness}
M107 ; Fill: {infill_sparse_density}
M107 ; Estimated Print time: {print_time}
M107 ; Filament used: {filament_amount}m {filament_weight}g
M107 ; Travel speed: {travel_speed}

and here is the gcode output from slicing a 5x5x5 cube:

;Filament used: 0.0207119m
;Layer height: 0.2
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.8.0
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
;This G-Code has been generated for the LulzBot TAZ 6 with standard extruder
M107 ; Sliced at: Sat 21-11-2020 09:03:06
M107 ; Nozzle Size: 0.4
M107 ; Layer height: 0.2
M107 ; Walls: 0.8
M107 ; Fill: 20
M107 ; Estimated Print time: 00:01:49
M107 ; Filament used: [0.02]m [0.1638406951904297]g
M107 ; Travel speed: 120

As you can see, {travel_speed} appears to be defined in 4.8.0. It comes from:

Perhaps it isn't defined in your version of Cura. Are you using Ultimaker Cura or someone's packaged (old version)? I see: ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 3.4.1 in your gcode output.

BTW, I'm using M107 so I can output some additional text as comments (after the ;). I probably don't need to do that anymore, but at the time I put it in, I had a reason. I just can't remember that reason anymore (of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most).

Yes, I'm using version Ultimaker Cura 3.4.1:


Here's some more details:

I realise now this is an old version but that is the version that was packed with my printer (which I bought 1 1/2 months ago).
I don't know why they added such an old version to the package, but I didn't want to change since I thought that version of Cura would have been fine-tuned for that specific printer.

As I said before, I just recently stepped into the 3D printer world, still a long way to go...

PS: I'll try the new settings ASAP (printing is now ongoing and will still take several hours before finish) so might be for somewhere tomorrow....


Many smaller 3D printer manufacturers don't have large enough operations to do their own slicing software or to even keep applying their changes to someone else's slicing software so once they have something working, they leave it alone.

Ultimaker Cura 4.8.0 appears to have support for your (comparable) printer so at some point in the future, you might want to give it a try. You may have to manually move some of the specific printer settings across (you can start with the comparable or create a custom) but after doing that, you get the benefit of all of the improvements Ultimaker has added to Cura.