Connect only with modem (no lan)

What is the problem?

Hi, I'm new here and new to 3d printing. I have a Raspberry pi 4 and I'm trying to get my Creality printer connected to it. In order to take advantage of Octoprint's features, is it necessary to have a lan network (with a router)? Or, is it possible to connect to a wifi modem that is only a modem (not a router)? I'd like to be able to run my printer from a browser, and to connect to printer remotely. If this is possible without a lan (but with wifi), are there any suggested guides/videos on how to achieve this? Thanks for any help.

What did you already try to solve it?

WRITE HERE

Have you tried running in safe mode?

WRITE HERE

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

WRITE HERE

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

I didn't know that wifi modems exist ^^

One option would be to run this on your pi

It basically turn your pi into router. It should be no problem to install it on the OctoPi 0.18.0 image.

It could be a bit tricky to set that up without an internet connection.
I would suggest that you install it at a friends place and connect it via lan to the network.

That way you should have no issues with any wifi settings after the raspap server is running :slight_smile:

Another option would be something like a bridged network on you pc (but I got no idea if that works with a dial up connection to a modem (and also got no way to test it)) or to use your phone as an access point (depending on your data plan) and install everything via mobile data.

What do you mean by a "Wifi modem"? If your modem connects to the internet, and it allows you to connect to the internet via Wifi, then it is in fact a router, and you do have a (wireless) lan.

Thank you for the replies. My modem situation is strange. My ISP provides the modem for connecting to internet. All computers in home can hook up to the modem through wire or wifi (and gain internet access). But the modem does not serve as a router in the sense that a home network (LAN) cannot be created. Printers are not available through the network, and computers cannot connect to each other.

Taking this into account, can I easily run Octoprint with my current setup, or do I need to get a router (like a Linksys) to get all the features out of Octoprint/Raspberry? Thanks for any clarification.

Well if my answer is no option for you then yes - you should buy a router.

1 Like