Connect Printer using WiFi instead of USB

Hello! I have a consistent problem with my MKS GEN L with Marling 1.1.9 and my Octoprint. Sometimes the printers halts and I have to manually press the confirm button on my printer for it to continue. I've raised another topic with more details.

What I'm wondering is that, since I have the MKS TFT 28 with the WiFi module working, have tested to connect it to Pronterface using the WiFi with success (IP address of the MKS TFT28), Can I connect my printer using the WiFi directly from Octoprint instead of using the USB connection?

Many thanks in advance!

What did you already try to solve it?

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

No, this is not supported as of now.

OK, many thanks anyway for the quick reply!

In my case, i run octoprint from an ubuntu linux laptop. I have a mks gen SBASE connected over ethernet. If I could connect directly to its IP address on my network (similar to connecting over wifi), I could have a 32 bit printer and stop with the disconnects / skipped steps that may be caused by a shitty USB serial interface on my old 8 bit boards. The mks gen sbase is somehow now the same price as the mks gen L, so i think very soon we will have 32bit boards connected over ethernet thanks to its better bandwidth capabilities. octoprint may start to lose users and great apps, like thespaghettidetective, if this feature cant be added.

Additionally, USB cameras take up a lot of bandwidth on an old laptops USB controller. so moving the printer to ethernet is really necessary. It's just the software now that is giving trouble

Octoprint is one of the most popular printer softwares and should be able to print to a static IP. i wish i knew more about how repetier and cura does it so i could help

Edit: i am going to purchase an Ethernet to USB 3.0 connector and see if it helps.

Afaik @foosel is working on a new communication layer (I hope thats the right term :smiley: ) that will also support plugins for network connections.
But it will take some time and also the plugins have to be created and sometimes they have to be reverse engeneered.

Search the forum here for rfc2217 as well as socat.

With the new Creality Ender3 V3 KE having had the USB crippled apart from from being used for thumb drives connecting OP via the built in wireless is a no-brainer and is an addition I am sure a lot of OP users will come to appreciate.

Even if there were other USB ports - it runs klipper and is completely closed down.

not really. Wifi is always less reliable than wired connections. Also wifi β‰  wifi.
Just because a device got wifi it doesn't mean another device or service can just connect to it.

Personally I would rather like ethernet connections to the printers - which should be possible with esp3D + an esp32-eth afaik. But unfortunately the project looks dead :frowning:

But it looks like only the screen runs Klipper, mayber there is a way to connect something else to the printers mainboard.

Do you know how the screen is connected?