Connecting HomeAssistant to Octopi is impossible

What is the problem?

HomeAssistant detects Octoprint when it is started up but can never attach to it.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible
My OctoPrint is running on an RPI 4, and uses SSL through a locally provided certificate. Printing etc. works fine and it has Octodash for controlling it externally which also works fine. I print to it remotely using PrusaSlicer.

Octoprint version: Version 1.9.3
Build 2022.08.16.135025 with "webcamd", based on OctoPi 0.18.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2

What did you already try to solve it?

I've tried asking on the HA site, but the conclusion seems to be use the MQQT pluggin instead as that is better anyway!

Have you tried running in safe mode?

I did not know Safe mode existed, however I don't feel that this is the issue I am seeing here.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

see above

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20240404095932.zip (77.1 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

HomeAssistant runs on an Intel NUC. When I turn on the printer it is recognised by HA which gives me the option to attach it. It DOES NOT give me an option to use an API key (it did years ago and that worked fine) instead it tries to connect to octopi to get permission.

If I try to connect with the IP address it just fails, even if I mod the port to the SSL one. If I change the hostname to the FQDN then it tries to connect but no pop up appears (and I've checked the Octopi settings that allows this) and after a few seconds it replies unable to get a certificate.

I have ignored this for ages and removed the dashboards I used to use back in the days when I could provide my own API key instead. I have left it popping up though and periodically try it, it's just this time I thought maybe it is time I asked again in case something has changed. I tried on the HA site and the only answer was to suggest MQQT, which is an option, but I was more interested in resolving the issue so that if others were seeing it I could advise on what it is and how to solve it.

Apparently I found the solution. Post something on the forum and the next time you see octoprint offerered in HA less than a minute later try it again!!!

Seriously I did that and it connected sweetly and just worked! I have no idea why it worked this time and has not done so ever before...

1 Like

Did you not read the step that said "make a post about it not working" in the setup instructions?

3 Likes