Connecting to Octoprint using an ethernet cable and win 11

What is the problem?

I have installed octoprint onto a raspberrypi but cannot find a way to open it

What did you already try to solve it?

Installed Putty and I can open the pi via and ethernet cable and ping the pi

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Do not know how

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

N/A

I setup the raspberry with the wifi box not checked as I do not want to connect via the net just through an ethernet cable connected between a laptop and the raspberry pi.
I can open a window in putty login to the pi but after that I do not know what to do. I am fairly computer illiterate so any help I would like in a step by step explanation.

This is the putty screen I am looking at
Linux raspberrypi 6.1.21-v7+ #1642 SMP Mon Apr 3 17:20:52 BST 2023 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Thu Sep 22 02:33:53 2022 from fe80::4d11:b8a6:7d2e:4ccb%eth0

Access OctoPrint from a web browser on your network by navigating to any of:

http://raspberrypi.local
http://169.254.74.226

https is also available, with a self-signed certificate.

This image comes without a desktop environment installed because it's not
required for running OctoPrint. If you want a desktop environment you can
install it via

sudo /home/pi/scripts/install-desktop

OctoPrint version : 1.9.3
OctoPi version : 1.0.0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $------------------------------------------------------------

Hello @GAP !

With those information you should be able to connect to OctoPrint from a browser form within your local network.

PS: Please put code sippets between code markers:

Format

I am not sure, but you may not be able to connect the Raspberry Pi directly to share the network connection without additional configuration on your windows laptop.

A 169.254.... IP address implies that it has not been able to connect to any DHCP server to get an IP address you can access it on, this is effectively the Raspberry Pi just pointing it to itself.

If connecting the Pi with an ethernet cable to your PC is the only option, you can setup Internet Connection Sharing so that it can pass through the connection to become accessible on the network properly. There should be information on the internet about this.

It also might be necessary to use a cross-over cable in this situation and not a standard ethernet cable, in which case setting static IP addresses on both sides may also be necessary. Set the laptop as x.x.x.1 and the pi as x.x.x.2. In all honesty it might be easier to just get a small 4 port router.

Very valid point - it will depend on the laptop hardware, I know mine (albeit actually with an adapter, because lack of ports) can switch itself to avoid the need for a crossover cable.

Would the Putty connection being successful imply anything to you about what's working/not working?

That's a good point. I don't even know how that is functioning. I wonder if the solution is to take a step back and ask why you want to setup the connection in this way? Maybe it would be better to install OctoPrint directly on the laptop and then just plug straight into the printer with USB?

I did not that could be done.
As my computer is less than a metre away from my printers (it is my hobby computer), hence the Ethernet cable route, that would be great.
How would I go about doing that?

So, there are two different pathways based on if the computer is windows or not. Assuming windows 10 64bit, my windows installer I've created would get everything setup and ready. You would have to install any necessary drivers for your printer, and then just plug the printer directly into a USB port.

I have successfully resolved my issues with Octoprint and it is working perfectly.

I just had to figure out how to open Octoprint from my browser and I have done this.

Thanks for the help.

My next step is to use another Raspberry Pi to connect to another printer via an Ethernet hub.
If I get into trouble I will open a new thread with my questions.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.