Connecting using ethernet and mac

**What is the problem?**I am not able to access Octopi from my Mac using either the browser or SSH.

**What did you already try to solve it?**I have verified that the Pi 3 B is appearing on the network router and its IP address.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)I am using the most current Octopi version, downloaded today. I do not have my printer yet it is on its way. I get the following error from Mac Terminal when I access using "octopi.local" or octopi.local@192.168.1.21. I am new at this so I may have missed and obvious issue. BTW I used TextEdit to modify the octopi .txt file and did modify TextEdit as per your instructions. I have the pi connected to a keyboard and monitor as well as ethernet.

This is the error message I forgot to put in my initial query.@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@ WARNING: POSSIBLE DNS SPOOFING DETECTED! @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
The ECDSA host key for octopi.local has changed,
and the key for the corresponding IP address fe80::f7:c434:f781:8372%en1
is unknown. This could either mean that
DNS SPOOFING is happening or the IP address for the host
and its host key have changed at the same time.
@ WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED! @
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that a host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the ECDSA key sent by the remote host is
SHA256:k2szJ+WQrLvOXLxZFlKxbCDiArHeupJO8rfGaIIQw/w.
Please contact your system administrator.
Add correct host key in /Users/New iMac 1/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending ECDSA key in /Users/New iMac 1/.ssh/known_hosts:5
ECDSA host key for octopi.local has changed and you have requested strict checking.
Host key verification failed.
Norms-Mac-mini:~ Mac_Mini$

You will want to delete line 5 in the file that the error message mentions. TextEdit should work fine.

/Users/New iMac 1/.ssh/known_hosts

Then try to connect again. It's been a while since I've had OSX on my Macbook (it's too old to update so I put Linux on it) but there should be a message about the host being unknown and you'll have to verify that you want to connect to it, just like the very first time you connected to the OctoPi. From that point it should work fine.

Thank you telanoc for your prompt response, just to show how new I am I do not understand your directions. This is the first time setup I am doing. I do not understand which file I need to access to "delete line 5", I looked in the .txt file and also searched my mac without success.

just do this in the terminal:

sed -e '5d' ~/.ssh/known_hosts

It'll show some output, as long as it doesn't give an error you're good.

Tedder42, do I do this in Pi or Mac terminal?

Mac, since you can't connect to the Pi :slight_smile:

This replaces what @telanoc was saying about TextEdit, since it's hard to find hidden files.

tedder42 thanks for your answer and absence of sarcasm, I did realize the question was not needed and actually figured it out just prior to receiving your message.
I waited until I stopped blushing to respond.
Norm

That's okay. You've put energy into your messages, which helps. It's hard when people assume everyone else can read their minds.