Connection lost after warm up printer

What is the problem?

Serial connection is lost after the printer (Ender 3 pro) warms up and is sent to autohome (G28).
For what I gather the connection is lost right after G28 is sent

What did you already try to solve it?

• Used different cables between Raspberry Pi and printer
  • Used another Raspberry Pi (a version 3 compared to the version 4)
  • Clean installation of Octoprint
  • Trying to print another file
  • Roll back Octoprint to a previous version
  • Disabled all plug in
  • Ran the setup in safe mode
  • Extended time-out time as terminal suggested
  • Tried if the connection stayed if the printer was not printing (this was the case)
  • Printing using SD card (works)

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint-systeminfo-20210903065752.zip (19.2 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version : 1.6.1
Printer: ender 3 pro
Browser: Firefox
Operating system: Linux MInt and windows 10

Terminal information

Recv: ok
Send: N10 M82*40
Send: N11 G92 E0*119
Recv: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:0.00 E:0.00 Count X:0 Y:0 Z:0
Send: N12 G28*32
Recv: echo:busy: processing
No response from printer after 6 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Changing monitoring state from "Printing" to "Offline after error"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Hello Jessica,

please enable Serial logging (wrench, Serial already has the focus, scroll down in the right pane, check the box and ignore the warning)

Let it run through at least one complete run-throughs of the problem and upload it here (the text edit window has that icon with the arrow pointing upwards, that's for uploading)

The easiest way is to download a Systeminfo bundle (click on the link for details) and upload that here, it will contain the serial.log.

octoprint-systeminfo-20210903065752.zip (19.2 KB)

I also added it to my original post

When you send the G28 command, does the printer move? It looks like, from the log, that OctoPrint sits and waits for 2 minutes and doesn't receive anything from the printer, and then gives up. Time differences between this here:

2021-09-03 06:54:08,261 - Send: N12 G28*32
2021-09-03 06:54:37,266 - Recv: echo:busy: processing
2021-09-03 06:57:37,452 - No response from printer after 6 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.

If the printer does not move, and just ignores the command, it is likely a firmware bug. I can see the firmware names comes through as Marlin 2.0.7.2 (Dec 3 2020 20:03:45) - so you are doing better than stock firmware, but maybe it still has a bug? Has this ever worked printing over USB?

Yes it does react to the G28 however right after giving the G28 (so the printer is still moving) there isn't any report on the temperature anymore in Octoprint, so I think the connection is lost right after sending G28.
So it does react to the first command.

The firmware indeed got an update when I installed my BL touch in December, but it has worked many hours since.

Also, (edited this in the original post) printing using the sd-card still works

what firmware is it? your own marlin build or a pre-compiled bin from someone?

Pre-compiled bin but in all honestly I don't remember from whom. (I followed a tutorial to install the BL touch and used the bin file used there)
Any idea how I might find that ?

No idea to be honest. Sometimes the people that make those will put in the author field and that typically shows during initial connection to the printer. The reason I ask it because there are some of those pre-compiled that recommend disabling some features in OctoPrint's firmware section, as well as gcode scripts section (ie Jyers).

Do you have any idea which version you use ? Otherwise, I try that one since (I assume) it works with you

I don't have your same printer, just know what I've seen in the Discord server and around here. I personally use the latest stable release of Marlin from the official repository with tweaks to the example configurations for my printer.

Thanks for the advice
I downloaded the latest stable release of Marlin and installed it (with a few tweaks like the BL touch) and everything works fine again. So probably it was some setting in the firmware.

1 Like