Cooling Fan not engaging

What is the problem?

Cooling fan is not turning on even thought the commands to do so are in the Gcode, and the fan works when you manually turn it on via the printer itself. Everything worked perfectly fine all day and just recently stopped working correctly.

What did you already try to solve it?

I have manually sent G106 commands via Octoprint cmd line, it did not even acknowledge that I sent the command, sent a G0 X command, it sent and received as normal.
I have taken the same gcode and loaded it via usb to my printer and it works as it should.

Have you tried running in safe mode and if so did it solve the issue?

Able to send the G106 command in safe mode fan engages with no issue.

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

OctoPrint EZPi V2.0, Artillery Sidewinder X1, Marlin 1.19, windows

Could be EZPi related. We don't know what they changed in their image.

Upload the logs incl the serial.log.

Sounds to me like a plugin is intercepting the command (rightly or wrongly). Upload the logs and that will have a list, then we can look and see if there are any that might cause problems.

Link to log file
https://drive.google.com/file/d/134CZxo6DvgApdwsIxFCTAaKTNxPwyx-3/view?usp=sharing

Also this morning the first non-safe mode print I went to do gave me this error, "layer indicator not found in file"

That's a display layer progress issue, check your slicer to make sure it has the right indicators for that plugin to work.

You do have a couple of plugin that deal with fan speed, maybe you want to disable things like fan speed control, or some other plugins. Seeing as the problem doesn't happen in safe mode, it is definitely plugin-related now I think you just have to figure out which one.

Just to verify... G106 isn't a fan command. Are you mixing this up with M106 here? What exactly do you send to your firmware to have it turn on the fan?

Apologies, that was a typo I was sending M106 S85 to test

Was this ever solved? I'm having the same problem.

You probably want to check the same things.

The resolution was that it was a plugin, since it did not occur in safe mode.

I figured it was a plugin, I was hoping there was a specific one to shut off. I have enough installed, that it could take hours to narrow it down. And if it happens to be a combination of them, that could take days. If someone found a solution, then they could save others the time. If I figure it out, I'll post here.

There's probably some 'likely candidates', for the OP I suggested 'Fan speed control' as the first of my suspicions.

If you want help figuring out which plugin, post a complete octoprint.log (click on blue link for further instructions).

1 Like

Resurrecting this old thread.. I am witnessing this issue now.. pi support plugin upgraded from 2022.6.12 to 2023.5.24 and octipie 1.8.7 to 1.9.0... the 29th and this issue popped up for me.. zero third party plugins... just using as it installed. same symptoms... type M106 S85 on my control panel command line.. it runs fine... type it into the terminal on octopie.. and it doesn't even show up...fan on/fan off does nothing... worked middle of may... i can include logs if required... but i am in the middle of a print.

Since this is an old thread please create a new one
The logs are definitely needed so we can figure out what is going on. Please also enable the serial.log, recreate the issue and upload the systeminfo bundle afterwards-