CR10S use stock filament sensor on OctoPrint

I am having a Creality CR10SproV2.
While using OctoPrint, the stock filament sensor is not working.
Is there a (physical) way to move the sensor away from the printer-motherboard to the Raspi GPIO?
Shouldnt break the printer-functionality by influencing the motherboard/firmware of the printer.
Maybe I could install a switch to switch it between stock printer and OctoPrint.

Any ideas?

BR
Bernd

The best way to do this is add support in the firmware to tell OctoPrint that the filament has runout.

Running Marlin firmware (which Creality uses) there are two things, HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS and HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT, which allow the firmware to say 'I have run out, pause the print!` and OctoPrint obliges.

Otherwise, there are plugins for filament sensors if you connect it directly to the RPi GPIO pins, that pause OctoPrint.

1 Like

Hi!

Can you confirm that changing those values works?

My understanding reading around is that this is a known issue and mostly ppl refer to connecting the filament sensor directly on the Pi running Octoprint for it to work...
If someone just could confirm that it works I will have to dig into my printer and fix :wink:

The first thing to try is sending an M115 to the printer and look at the response. You should get back something like:

Send: N1 M115*39
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin  FIRMWARE_VERSION:2.0.9.0.9 EXTRUDER_TYPE:Universal (Dec  2 2021 09:26:58) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://gitlab.com/lulzbot3d/marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:LulzBot TAZ 6 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:845f003c-aebd-4e53-a6b9-7d0984fde609
Recv: Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Recv: Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Recv: Cap:EEPROM:1
Recv: Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_POS:0
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Recv: Cap:PROGRESS:0
Recv: Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOLEVEL:1
Recv: Cap:RUNOUT:0
Recv: Cap:Z_PROBE:1
Recv: Cap:LEVELING_DATA:1
Recv: Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:1
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:1
Recv: Cap:HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS:1
Recv: Cap:PROMPT_SUPPORT:0
Recv: Cap:SDCARD:1
Recv: Cap:REPEAT:0
Recv: Cap:SD_WRITE:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:1
Recv: Cap:LONG_FILENAME:1
Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Recv: Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Recv: Cap:ARCS:1
Recv: Cap:BABYSTEPPING:1
Recv: Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0
Recv: Cap:COOLER_TEMPERATURE:0
Recv: Cap:MEATPACK:0
Recv: ok N1 P13 B3

This shows that my printer's firmware has support for HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS:1 and does not have support for PROMPT_SUPPORT:0.

Unless Creality has messed with this part of the Marlin firmware, the response you get should tell you if you have firmware support for those two features.

Yes, that's why I posted it. I know it works.

Thank you for that :smiley: Sorry but many ppl say things they have read elsewhere without knowing what they talk about. I wanted confirmation before surgery :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for a superb response and good first step :slightly_smiling_face:

That's why you ask on official support channels and not on Facebook or other arbitrary locations on the internet :wink:

Yea, but you know I'm Swedish and we don't want to bother anyone :wink: A very "Its okey" kind of people

Did send a M115 just to test it out and it looks like my firmware doesnt support it :confused:

Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin Ver 1.70.0 BL (Creality3D) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:3D Printer EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:EEPROM:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Recv: Cap:PROGRESS:0
Recv: Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOLEVEL:1
Recv: Cap:Z_PROBE:1
Recv: Cap:LEVELING_DATA:1
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Recv: ok