Creating an all in one terminal

At this moment, the plugin will be installed, but Slic3r must be downloaded and configured, which can be done following these steps: How to install Slic3r on RPi · OctoPrint/OctoPrint-Slic3r Wiki · GitHub

Was this step unnecessary because we did the desktop thing or was it something else that I’m not understanding?

I don't know what 'raspberry 8.3' is referring to, but OctoPi 0.18 is based Raspberry Pi OS, which is based on Debian 10 (Buster).

So the first line of this guide you linked of 'How to install Slic3r on RPi' says the same thing that @b-morgan did earlier:

On Raspbian 10 Buster, slic3r and slic3r-prusa are available in the apt repository and do not need to be built on the Pi.

No need to build it, just follow the instructions in the post here:

OH I was looking at the raspbian version which said 8.3.2 (could be wrong about the 3rd number) using gcc —version. So it should all be ready to go just following the install guide without that step? Also how do I check the debian version using the terminal if you don’t mind me asking?
Edit: I have successfully installed the base slic3r program on the desktop already aswell as run it and create a printer profile

As we have said multiple times... Nothing needs to be compiled so what version of gcc you have is irrelevant. What version of Debian is mostly irrelevant as well but if you must know, type:
cat /etc/os-release
in a terminal window.

1 Like

Apologies I’m still wrapping my head around the exact functions of certain files and such. So just to be clear:
The gcc —versions functions I put in showed me the current version of raspbian gcc files available. Which is not what I wanted because gcc files act as compilers for plugins that are not prebuilt to the package?
And also yeah me looking at that is probably what screwed me I’ve been doing all this under the assumption I’ve been on a pre Debian 10 system which over complicated things, my apologies.

This forum is primarily for OctoPrint (and OctoPi because it is the most popular operating system used for OctoPrint on the Raspberry Pi). OctoPrint can be installed on other hardware platforms and/or other operating systems. All that is needed is a Python 3 application.

With a couple of exceptions, the users of this forum are all just avid OctoPrint users who have gained their knowledge mostly by making mistakes and learning from them. We pass our knowledge to others so they don't have to make all the same mistakes we made.

It sounds to me like your knowledge level is fairly basic. There are other resources and forums that are more suited to beginning Linux users and you may need to visit some of those to build up your knowledge base.

Packages on Linux / Raspberry Pi OS / OctoPi are mostly pre-complied and are installed using a package manager ("apt" for Debian-based installs). Most OctoPrint plugins are also "pre-compiled" (because Python is for the most part an interpreted language). There are exceptions but in most of those cases, the compilation steps are built into the installation process.

I suggest you re-read all of the responses in this topic as I believe all the information you need to do the task you originally asked for help with has been presented to you. If you have difficulty completing some of the steps that have been outlined, take lots of notes and present them along with specific questions so we can make progress.

1 Like

I believe it is now that I know the correct path. Thankyou very very much for all your assistance
Would you be able to recommend some good forums for me to get started on now that I’m almost ready to start diving into the world of printing?

Google is your friend (and mine too)... Try starting with the search "linux beginner". There are tutorials, videos, and forums (and you can add those terms to your search to narrow in on what you want).

i have one more question regarding octo-pi plugins. How do you indentify the unique paths to the executables? the standard path on the installation guide is returning as non existent.
the default given being /home/pi/Slic3r/slic3r.pl
i feel as though knowing how to identify file pathways will be an important skill
Edit: I’m just gonna wipe and start again because the “slic3r” file wasn’t in the pi directory for some reason I must’ve messed something up

OctoPi (note spelling and capitalization) does not have plugins, OctoPrint has plugins.

The OctoPrint-Slic3r plugin needs to know the path to the Slic3r executable. The answer to this question depends on how Slic3r was installed. We have recommended how you should install Slic3r but I don't believe you have ever told us how you did install Slic3r. (You have told us how you failed to build Slic3r from sources).

If you installed it using apt, then type the command which slic3r and it will return the path (which should be /usr/bin/slic3r). If you installed slic3r-prusa instead, then type which slic3r-prusa3d and it will return the path to that one instead.

BTW, I googled "How do you indentify the unique paths to the executables", opened the first search result, and that's how I found the which (or whereis) command.

And the path it presents from that command is what I type into plugin setup? Also I did install it via apt-get like you said on the desktop as I am redoing right now

Yes, type "/usr/bin/slic3r" into that text box in the plugin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.