Direct Ethernet Connection

Hello, I have a Pi 3B+ and a laptop running windows 10 and I enjoyed using octoprint at home on my personal wifi network. However, I'm now at college so I don't feel comfortable putting my printer on the school wide wifi network. I was wondering if it is possible to plug my raspberry pi directly into my laptop with an ethernet cable and then type in an ip in the browser and see octoprint.

I tried this tutorial but every time I check the sharing options it disconnects my wifi. So my next question is if it's possible to access octopi and have an internet connection. Another problem I had with this tutorial is when I did the ping of octopi it worked but the ip address it gave me was this: fe80::fe03:f10d:7fe7:81e1%4

Most of the other tutorials involve noobs which I'm not sure would work for ocotopi. Anyways, I would appreciate any help on solving this thank you!

You could connect your RPi and your laptop together but you will need a crossover ethernet cable and static IP addresses on both ethernet ports. Otherwise you need two ethernet cables and a router (with multiple ethernet ports). The router doesn't have to route to anywhere, it would just act as a switch with the ability to provide IP addresses if necessary.

1 Like

I'm pretty sure you won't need a crossover cable. The RPi, and most devices created these days are all auto-sensing. You can use a regular straight through cable or you can use a cross-over.

I think you might be right about auto-sensing. Still need to manually assign IP addresses as there's no DHCP server. I don't remember if ICS (referenced in the tutorial above) handles IP addresses. Unless you do something fancy, OctoPrint won't be able to see the internet when cabled to the laptop, but that's probably OK.

Note that your laptop won't provide a route to the Internet (to the Pi) unless you tell it to do so. So if you've installed plugins (Anywhere, Spaghetti Detective, cloud-based notifications, etc) that use the Internet then they will fail. Note also that the news feed won't work, installing new plugins from those on the Internet won't work, as expected.

Hey everyone thanks for the replies. So if I understand everything correctly I should try to use a normal ethernet cable, establish static IPs for both the laptop and Pi, and then route my internet through to the Pi. Is this all correct. Also are there any tutorials on establishing static IP's for both my laptop and Pi. Thank you everyone.

Ok quick update. So I managed to get through to octoprint by following this guide right up until the Connect your Pi section. I then just typed 10.0.0.1 into my browser and it popped up so I've solved my first issue I think. I've also established a network bridge between my wifi and my ethernet so that the rpi would have internet however it does not seem to be working. When I went into octoprint settings and checked if I was connected to the internet it said no as seen in the picture.Capture
I'm just wondering what I could do to get an internet connection on the rpi @OutsourcedGuru. Thanks!

I have a MacBook and I (used to) routinely give talks at various venues. The Mac is probably easier at sharing its Internet connection to other locally-connected devices. You'll just need to research if you really need the Pi to see the Internet in this scenario. If you can't get it to work then you'll want to off that period connectivity check.

You probably ought to consider your school's public network (whether wired or wireless) as not much different than any public WiFi you might use in a hotel, airport, or whatever. For long-term usage, you should strongly consider bringing a router with you to isolate your equipment from the network. Keep your printer on the network that your router creates and you shouldn't have any security issues as long as your router's firmware is kept updated.