Disable printing in safe mode?

What is the problem?

Printer still allows network prints when octoprint boots into safe mode -- I would rather it did not.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Safe mode is the problem.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

Clearly not.

So occasionally when I am messing (physically) with my printer, I end up turning it on and off too quickly for Octoprint to boot completely properly. (My Pi is powered directly from the printer's p/s). So of course it ends up in 'Safe Mode' even though nothing is really wrong. Then, a couple hours into a print later I login to check progress and realize, hey, I'm in Safe Mode. Grr. So no filament tracking, no better predictions, etc, because those are third party plugins.

Honestly, I'd be fine just disabling safe mode entirely, but I get why that's not going to be an option (Really -- it should be a command-line option or something, at least, but... oh well). But I feel like there's got to be an option to disable printing, or at least network/API printing, while it's in Safe Mode, so I can realize this BEFORE I start a print. Does such an option exist and I just can't find it?

Hello @jimduchek !

Safe mode does what it is intended for: Turning 3rd party plugins off. Not more. OctoPrint then works a bare, fresh installed system.

So yo power the Pi just off?
OctoPrint usually always should start up in normal mode. It starts in safe mode, when something is wrong.
Maybe the workflow can be adapted to prevent OctoPrint starting in safe mode.

So occasionally when I am messing (physically) with my printer, I end up turning it on and off too quickly for Octoprint to boot completely properly. (My Pi is powered directly from the printer's p/s).

That's a recipe for SD card corruption, which is probably why you're getting into safe mode in the first place. You've been lucky that that's all you're seeing, as opposed to needing to install OctoPrint completely to fix the corrupted SD card.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.