Display job start time in State panel?

What is the problem?

I'd like to be able to display the start time of the current job in the State panel.

What did you already try to solve it?

Don't know what to do, so I'm asking here.

I've found the best estimate I get for how long a job will take is provided by my slicer and it's included in the filename when I upload the file. I'm just wondering if there's a way to include the job start time in the State panel without a lot of extra HTML editing or programming work.

I don't think I know of a plugin or anything that does this, and I think that would probably be your only option. You could make it yourself but it would require programming work.

even over PrintTimeGenius? there are other plugins that can get those eta's from your slicer estimate as well.

Never heard of it before now. I searched plugins for "start time" and similar, so I didn't get plugins with general timing. But if PTG is as accurate as they claim, that'd do it for me. Generally, now, what I do, is look at the current time on the OctoPrint panel, then my total time that's in the filename from PrusaSlicer, subtract to get time left, then add that to the current time to get an estimated completion timing. If PTG is pretty good at estimating, then I'd have a close estimated completion timing without me having to do the math. I've installed PTG, but I'm not printing today, so once I print and see how it works, I'll let you know.

Tried it on a few prints - just what I was looking for. Came pretty close. The one thing I wish it included was estimated completion time. It gives an estimated duration, but not a time to go with that.

You can get that - and more - with this plugin:

How do OPD-EDA's estimated completion compare to PTG's estimations? (Do the two work together? I would think they'd conflict.)

It does not calculate it's own estimation. It takes the estimation of Print Time Genius and adds the start time to it

there are actually a few...

1 Like

Thanks - didn't want to download and start dealing with possible conflicts until I heard something from someone who knows about it.

Yeah, the problem I have is that I spent years developing a software system that had a lot of unique needs and developed a tunnel-vision habit when searching. So once I started thinking about "job start time," I kept looking for something about the start time. I didn't step back and think, "Well, my end goal is to get a good estimate on the completion time." The default Octoprint calculator is so far off (and I get the same results as shown in the chart for PTG - it goes WAY over in the middle, then gets closer as more is done), that I was thinking more about just adding the time in the filename to the start time than thinking that there might be other print time estimators that worked well.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.