E1 Heating Failed, ENDER 5

What is the problem?

When I start a print, I connect the Octoprint, start heating the nozzle and the bed. I immediately get this error:
"#### Error reported by printer

Your printer's firmware reported an error. Due to that OctoPrint will disconnect. Reported error: Heating failed, system stopped! Heater_ID: 0 - Printer halted. kill() called!"

What did you already try to solve it?

I set Temperature interval (autoreport) to 0

Additional information about your setup

Version 1.4.0, printer Ender 5, firmware: TH3D_UFW_U1.R2.B5, Microsoft Edge, Windows 10, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

Is the printer turned on?

1 Like

Yes, the E1 Heating Failed message appears on the printer's LCD.

That doesn't mean it's turned on. It could be powered via usb.
Does it heat when you change the temperature on the display?

Hmmmm, I assumed that the Octoprint was powering it up and would control it. As to whether it heats up via Octoprint, I have always gotten the error message when I tried so I will say no.

You can control the printer with Octoprint but it has to be powered from your mains power.

I mean when you let it heat via the display menu.

That did it. I turned the printer on first, then was able to control it from Octoprint. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

You need to clip the +5V pin of the USB connector to prevent accidental power sharing between these devices. Seems weird given the ubiquity of USB anymore but that's the way these things are designed to operate. Share Data while Blocking Power which is the exact reverse of 99.99% of USB Blockers you might search to purchase on the market. AFAIK, there's only one that does THIS job and its made by a guy in Ireland. Search for USB Power Blough. That'll get ya there. TH3D sources them and BLough sells them an Amazon USB Power Blocker as well.