Ender 3 Pro warning

Hello
Im very new to 3D printing and just installed Octoprint on the RP 3b+. I have an Ender 3 Pro and after I installed Octoprint I was expecting to get the firmware safety warning but I did not get that. I just bought the printer a few weeks ago. So the question is, does my Ender 3 Pro have the "Thermal runaway protection" enabled in the firmware and hence I dont get the warning ?

You can enable OctoPrint's serial.log or you can manually enter the command M115 after you connect to your printer and look for "Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1" in the serial.log or the M115 output.

1 Like

Perfect b-morgan, thank you!

Since I just installed octoprint where do I manually enter the command ?

Here :slight_smile:

Thanks printedweezl, I'm not home and not familiar with the gui so I had to ask.

tenor1

1 Like

I get this in the output. Does this mean TRP is not enabled ?

Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin Creality 3D SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Ender-3 Pro EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:EEPROM:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Send: M155 S2
Recv: Cap:PROGRESS:0
Recv: Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
Recv: Cap:Z_PROBE:0
Recv: Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Recv: ok
Recv: ok

That means it doesn't say anything about whether TRP is on or not. Which makes this a guess game.

In general OctoPrint will only display a warning for printers (or rather firmwares) that are known to have it disabled. Not getting a warnings doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. I have to rely on user tests and feedback to make affected printers identifiable, I can't buy every printer on the market and check myself :wink:

@tjadhav:
Have a loot at this video how to check thermal runaway:

I googled "ender 3 pro update firmware" and found lots of links. This was a good one which led me to here. I'm sure some of other links in that google search will provide everything you need to flash the more recent version of firmware onto your printer.

Well I could send you my configured firmware if you want it :slight_smile:

I will go ahead and update the firmware, probably using the TH3D firmware (customized Marlin firmware). I'm hoping issuing the M115 command after that should show "Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1". Looking at Creality's 1.1.5 mainboard has TRP and boot loader enabled. But after the firmware upgrade the only thing I will gain is the silent stepper motors from the v 1.1.5 board. So I will just stick with the stock board for now. I dont know may go ahead and buy the 1.1.5 board to reduce the noise. I will share my findings after I get the upgrade done. Thank you everyone.

I wouldn't buy a new Creality board either way. In my opinion you can get boards with better hardware for a similar price.
If you are going to buy a new board in the future look out for one with more flash.
If you want to use BLtouch (like me) you have to disable some marlin features (I disabled SD card usage) to keep it small enough to flash it on the 1284P.

Updated the firmware to the latest stable Marlin ver 1.1.9 , sent M115 command and got "Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1", so happy! Thank you everyone!