Ender 3 V2 Filament sensor W/Both Octo and Printer

What is the problem?

I am currently running a filament sensor and want to incorporate it into octopi. The sensor is plugged into my Ender 3 V2 motherboard port and it works fine BUT I cant use it with Octopi. Can I split the data wire of the sensor to go to the Ender and Raspberry Pi? This way I can have best of both worlds...

What did you already try to solve it?

No

Have you tried running in safe mode?

WRITE HERE

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

WRITE HERE

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

OctoPrint needs the proper information from the printer in case of a filament run out.
Can you simulate a run out and share the serial.log (you may have to enable if before).

You may can connect the sensor to the Pi, but not to both the printer and the Pi.

The firmware must have HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT enabled to communicate that filament has run out to OctoPrint. If this is still stock firmware, it probably doesn't have this and you will have to update it yourself.

1 Like

What is the problem?

I am able to connect to Octoprint and everything seems to be working except for my offical raspberry pi camera.

What did you already try to solve it?

I looked at the

Have you tried running in safe mode and if so did it solve the issue?

No and Im not sure what safe mode is?

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

Hello @oxicottin!

Blue words, like safe mode and logs are links. You may click them to get more information.

Merged both of your posts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ewald_lkemann replied I cant run both by just splitting the signal wire (not sure it woulnt work) and I have altered the Marlin firmware by adding the BLTouch and Filament sensor. Attached is what I altered.

My Firmware Settings

Also, I went in and looked for HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT and found it commented out in CONFIGURATION_ADV.H, What is that used for?

Thanks!

It's described a few lines before:

* Host Prompt Support enables Marlin to use the host for user prompts so
 * filament runout and other processes can be managed from the host side.
 */
//#define HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS
#if ENABLED(HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS)
  //#define HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT
  //#define HOST_START_MENU_ITEM  // Add a menu item that tells the host to start
#endif

I hate to sound like a noob which I am but are you saying that I can use both by splitting the wire and uncommenting HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT or does that just need uncommented so I can use it with the pi?

Thanks!

Yes the second one is the way.

• You unncommend that line.
  • Compile the firmware.
  • Load it up to the printer.
  • So then when a filament run out occurs, OctoPrint will be informed.
  • Benefit: filament run out sensing also works without OctoPrint
2 Likes

Re. Host Prompt Support enables Marlin to use the host for user prompts so filament runout and other processes can be managed from the host side.

Dim question of the day, in this context who is the host?

1 Like

OctoPrint is the 'host software'

2 Likes

Now were getting somewhere :smiley: .... So I been searching around about the HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT and to me it sounds like I don't have to split my wire it just tells Octoprint that it sent a M600 and to enable its pause button, is that true?

Now this brings me to what's going to happen when I do run out using running a file from my Raspberry Pi and Octoprint?

1. Since file its running from Pi then do I have to use some kind of Pause in the Octoprint GCode Scrips for pause and resume? OR
  2. Will it run the M600 command from Marlin like it does now and move hotend to front and extract my filament the 300mm I specified in Marlin and apron resume will it heat up and purge then resume print?

On a side note this thread should be a sticky cuz I'm sure this has been wondered but without you great people it wouldn't get tried...

Correct, filament sensor goes to printer only, and then the printer tells OctoPrint it has paused.

The printer will handle everything, defined in the advanced pause feature in it's config. So the second option.

We can't sticky everything :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. There's a lot of questions that are asked more than once, there is an FAQ of posts here:

Maybe one day this will get added.

1 Like

Thank you.... Do I have to enable //#define HOST_START_MENU_ITEM as well or just the #define HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT...

After that Im giving it a try!

Host start menu item means you can effectively press 'print' from the printer's display - OctoPrint will print the currently selected file. Not required for filament change prompts.

Did this end up working for you and could you possibly summarize your solution. I am essentially trying to recreate the same solution for an ender 3 s1 pro (touch screen rather than rotary knob).

Thank you @oxicottin !!

Yes It did... I installed Jyers UI recently and it took care of any/all issues I had in the past and I love it!

I recently bought an S1-Pro and am interested in this topic.

What is "Jyers UI"?