Error: Too many consecutive timeouts

What is the problem?
Connection lost to printer

I was printing a simple print using both extruders. After about 5min printer stopped and left all heaters on. Copied the last lines from the terminal in OctoPrint.

What did you already try to solve it?
I haven't done anything really, looked through the printer settings in OctoPrint but couldn't find any obvious

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)
OctoPrint 1.3.12
OctoPi 0.17.0
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3

Printer Vivendo T-Rex 3 with Marlin FW, not sure which version

Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Send: N9145 M105*30
Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Send: N9146 M105*29
Send: N9147 M105*28
Send: N9148 M105*19
Send: N9149 M105*18
No response from printer after 6 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Changing monitoring state from "Printing" to "Offline (Error: Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?)"
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Did you set up your printer profile in octoprint for multiple extruders?

2 Likes

Do you also have a serial.log?
You also may check the USB cable.
Recommended is also this: Put tape on the 5V pin - Why and how
What slicer did you use?

2 Likes

Yes, I have.
I have made maybe 25 successful prints, this was the first that failed.

Sorry, no log. OctoPrint cautions when turning logging on, how much of an (potential) issue is this?
USB cable I can change to another one to rule that out.
The tape on 5V pin... Ok, will try
For this print I used Cura. (I wish there where a cross breed between Cura and S3D)

So this error is equal to as if I pulled the USB cord out?

Uhhhmmm - yessss

Arrg It happened again just now, I thought the serial log was enabled because there was a serial.log file in the log listings... Now I have enabled serial.log so next time I'll have that as well.

is the octoprint.log of any use?
octoprint.log (298.3 KB)

Looks like your printer simply stops responding via serial altogether. Could be the firmware crashing or being stuck in some sort of loop. It's hard to say really, but it boils down to the printer refusing to talk to OctoPrint anymore and that way it's of course impossible to continue to print. When it happens the next time I'd suggest to see if the printer still reacts on its own controller (if it has one, these days most have though).

Ok, great. Thanks

Is there something else I can try/test next time while I’m at it?

Probably just a coincidence, but the last time before this time, it happened when I closed my browser. I guess it’s far fetched and I have tried to repeat it but it haven’t happened again.
Just wanted to say if it has any value...

Very unlikely. There's no code at all that interacts between frontend and the communication layer. And as I said, it's your firmware stopping to respond, not OctoPrint stopping to send (it's actually trying really hard), so whatever happens happens inside your firmware.

This is what happened this morning:

Turned on printer
Turned on OctoPi

In web browser Safari on my mac:
I connected to printer
Set the bed temp to 40°
Noticed after a little while that bed was set to 80°
Re set temp to 40°
It immediately went back to 80°

On my printers control: (that seemed to respond correctly)
I turned of bed temp, set it to 0°
The heater turned on by it self and was set to 245°
A few seconds later it started to print, -the head started moving.

At his point a turned off the power because I had last nights print still standing solid on my bed and the printer head was heading straight towards it.
Therefore I could not continue to see what it started doing, cant remember how high the temperatures where but no way that the hotend had reached 245°

Any ideas?
serial.log (36 KB)
octoprint.log (49.1 KB)

Are you sure you didn't forget to change some old start gcode?
Check the gcode file you wanted to print for M190 S80 - that's the gcode for raising bed temperature to 80°C

I found this:

2019-12-07 07:19:15,406 - Send: N0 M110 N0*125
2019-12-07 07:19:15,421 - Recv: enterStopPrint:"0ok N0 P15 B3
2019-12-07 07:19:45,450 - Communication timeout while idle, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.

Curiously the same happens at 14:53/14:54 at the same point of the procedure.
Already tried the "Tape over 5V" thing I mentioned above?

I didn't try to start a new print, just wanted to heat bed so I could remove my old print.

Well at least octoprint thought you want to print

2019-12-07 07:20:48,777 - Changing monitoring state from "Starting" to "Printing"
2019-12-07 07:20:48,786 - Send: N2 T0*56
2019-12-07 07:20:48,791 - Recv: echo:Active Extruder: 0
2019-12-07 07:20:48,793 - Recv: ok N2 P15 B3
2019-12-07 07:20:48,795 - Send: N3 M190 S80*83

Could you try another browser?

Where do you get 14:53/14:54 from? I don't follow.
And just to be clear, the only commands I gave was to set bed temp at 40° (or maybe 38, 43... can't remember exactly) If the log suggests I did something more it wasn't me.

I appreciate a lot that you look at the logs!

No, I haven't taped over the 5V pin, Guess that is the next thing for me to try.

Story of my life :smiley:

Sure, can try another browser but it seems a bit far fetched? Any particular reason if I may ask?

I just want to make sure that there is no weird cache problem or some kind of plugin doing odd stuff

1 Like

Ahh, Ok I see. Good point!