Filament Change - MQTT - Home Assistant trigger to initiate notification

What is the problem?

Filament Change - MQTT - Home Assistant trigger to initiate notification, I Have installed filament sensor, running Ender 3 Pro with latest Octoprint and latest Merlin. When printer stops the Octoprint keep posting "PRINTING" and there is no "STATE" change which would help me trigger automation inHA

What did you already try to solve it?

not much, it seems like CORE issue of reporting state when printer is on Standby for filament change

Have you tried running in safe mode?

no

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

no

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:69.21 /70.00 @:0 B@:127
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:69.84 /70.00 @:0 B@:127
Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Recv: T:20.47 /220.00 B:70.10 /70.00 @:0 B@:0
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:70.09 /70.00 @:0 B@:0
Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:69.86 /70.00 @:0 B@:127
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:70.30 /70.00 @:0 B@:127
Recv: T:20.62 /220.00 B:70.55 /70.00 @:0 B@:127

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Hello @vendo232!

When you did not run in safe mode, how will you know it will not solve the problem?

Actually, it seems your printer does not inform OctoPrint about the filament change.
Could you please share a serial.log (you may have to enable it) when this occurs. And please attach it as file.

I have enabled in Merlin following options and it fixed the issue

#define HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS
#define HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT

thank you Ewald_Ikemann for your support

1 Like

Great! You are welcome!

So could you please:

here is high level overview with detail which was key to have all this working.

Printer

• I`m using MERLIN FW 2.0.7.3 the IMPORTANT part here is to enable following setting in
    to enable “status” reporting to Octoprint.
    enable in MERLIN:
    #define HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS
    #define HOST_PROMPT_SUPPORT
  • The sensor for Ender 3 I installed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jt-
    Qc67FDo&t=361s&ab_channel=Crosslink
    Octoprint
  • install Homeassistant MQTT plugin to push ‘homeassistant’ topics to HA directly.
    no other settings needed.

HA

• if all goes well you will see printer and bunch of sensors ( 25~ ) in Integration -> MQTT
  • one of those sensors is Octoprint Print Status which will give you all sorts of sttauses like ERROR , PRINTING, PAUSE etc…
  • you can create simple status change automation on this status change to send whatsapp or anything else.
2 Likes