Filament database

I was wondering if there is a tool for creating your own filament database, where you can use a barcode scanner to scan a product in and set temperatures for that particular product etc.
That way when your using a particular brand/product/material. It lists the temperatures/colour/ etc for that product and then you just adjust your printer for them settings?

Hi @Frank_Offer,

I only know FilamentManager, but this plugin doesn't support a barcode-scanner.

IMHO: a feature-request to add the barcode-scanning thing will not be successfull, because not a lot of people have a scanner in there home.
But I think a good alternative feature-request is something like this:

  • Option to create QR-Code labels after editing a filiament entry
  • The QR-Code could be sticked to a role and before starting print, you bring that sticker in front of the cam and the plugin select every needed parameter.

BR Olli

Yeah even that’s a good idea.
Reason I say barcode scanner was because most spools may already have a barcode which you could just utilise.

Doesn’t necessary need to be a barcode scanner, I believe even phone apps now have the ability to scan barcodes.

Otherwise manually inputting the barcode number could also be a option for those without the ability to scan a barcode :slight_smile:

Why not offer a bounty for someone to create a cool filament database plugin which supports your barcode reader?

These coconut chocolate bars?

1 Like

Indeed. How many chocolate bars would you pay for a barcode-driven inventory control system?

A barcode scanner is just like a keyboard. Plug it in and it inputs ASCII to whatever window you have open. When you create the filaments in FilamentManager, you can set them up by what the barcode says so it looks them up when you use the barcode scanner

I like the idea about "scanning" spools and select the right parameters in Octoprint. So, I googled around and found the following:

or software + hardware on kickstarter:

..and I found some python-libs that can handle Barcode and"s doable.

@Frank_Offer you should definitely raise an ticket with your request, maybe you get an response...or even better a ready to use solution :wink:

I would see this as the 80:20 rule: If it works already for 80% of the users, give that away for free. If the remaining 20% are power users (businesses) looking for a special feature then figure out a way of charging for this functionality since it's probably worth it.

I recently met with logistics people down in Mexico City regarding inventory management with barcodes, RFID technology, databasing inventory, etc. This feature feels to me like it's above-the-free-line.

The other side of the coin is the amount of support it will incur for you. "Help me setup my Brand X scanner, it's not working with your plugin..."

I implemented a Proof-of-Concept plugin:

The plugin could scan QR-Codes and Bar-Codes via a connected Camera.

Next step is to create a Git-Repository and do some planning via GitHub-Project board.

E.g. this time I would like to use peewee as a database-layer.
Has someone experience with a Python ORM-Framework?


That is perfect.
However would like to see a bit more info on the spool side. Like “recommended bed temp,” recommended print speed, quantity of spools(if you have more then 1) and colour of spool.
Something like the pic maybe?