Filament run out not working for CR-10 Smart

What is the problem?

My print job did not pause when the filament ran out on my CR-10 Smart, which has a filament run-out sensor on it.

What did you already try to solve it?

Not sure what I could do, I was keeping an eye on it because I knew it was going to run out so I was able to thread the next spool in while it was running, but the octoprint job just kept going even though there was no filament for probably a layer or two - I was doing a spinner clearance tolerance test.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

No

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

octoprint-systeminfo-20210903142954.zip (24.4 KB)

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Creality CR-10 Smart
FW V1.02b56

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
connectivity.connection_check: 192.168.1.7:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1400
env.hardware.ram: 915718144
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x80000
env.python.pip: 21.2.4
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.6.1
printer.firmware: Marlin Creality 3D
systeminfo.generator: systemapi

There's a good chance you'll need to build your own firmware for that to work. You need Host Action Commands support.

But it's a feature that came on the printer straight from the factory - shouldn't it already know how to use it's own sensor with the latest firmware on the printer (I'm using Creality's firmware, have not modded the printer at all).

Or do you mean I need to somehow customize how octoprint behaves to properly receive and react any signal from the printer that the filament detector was tripped?

It works with SD print from the factory. Serial is a whole other ball game and based on Crealitys' track record I'd gather it was never tested or implemented for serial.

Interesting that there's a difference between SD card print and Serial print. If I were to leave the SD card in the system, upload to the SD via octoprint web UI, and print the file from the SD storage would that make a difference?

If nothing else, where would I even begin to try and add this capability into my octoprint setup? Is there a plugin perhaps that would handle it?

When printing from printer SD you lose quite a bit of functionality in OctoPrint. No GCODE preview, good chunk of plugins won't work, no filament change UI in OctoPrint, etc...

You would want to configure, build, and flash Marlin yourself. Plenty of guides out there.

Oof, great. I'll admit that's a bit daunting of a task since I'm brand new in the hobby. I'll take a crack at it though.

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

I did not - I was working on Christmas presents so I didn't want to risk mucking things up in the middle of that, so I focused on that and have not had a chance to get back to this since then.

I just plugged my octoprint-pi back in the other day to start looking over my system and make sure it's all in working order again.