FilamentManager Plugin install issue / Windows

What is the problem?

Installation of FilamentManager Plugin on a Windows setup "fails" => successful installation messages, but plugin isn't found / visible after OctoPrint restart.

What did you already try to solve it?

• Installing manually from command line
  • Switching Octoprint from official 1.4.2 to 1.5.0rc3 to try to install through UI
  • installing the dev version of the plugin (0.5.3, previous github repo) instead of the official one on "new" repo OllisGit.

The latter provides this message, thus I kept trying installing the official release

Have you tried running in safe mode and if so did it solve the issue?

I didn't, since it's about a plugin.

Complete Logs

Full Logs: octoprint.log (307.8 KB)

UI Install: Success message but plugin is named "Unknown" + error in console logs

Manual install: Success message

Both install methods provide the same result: plugin isn't found

Additional information about your setup

Octoprint 1.4.2 => 1.5.0rc3
Win10 / Edge
Python 3.9.0 / pip 20.2.4

I'm trying to install this FilamentManager plugin as a dependency of PrintJobHistory

Thanks for your help or advice to get clean Print logs on a Windows Octoprint setup

Hello @Nagash!

I assume you uninstalled the obsolete version beforehand?

Hi @Ewald_Ikemann,

Yes indeed, I uninstalled from CLI the previous version each time, since I can't see it in the UI

Looks like a problem in a dependency of the plugin, that is incompatible with Python 3.8 and newer, you are running 3.9. From octoprint.log:

File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\octoprint_filamentmanager\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
    from .data import FilamentManager
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\octoprint_filamentmanager\data\__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    from sqlalchemy.engine.url import URL
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\__init__.py", line 9, in <module>
    from .sql import (
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\sql\__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .expression import (
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\sql\expression.py", line 33, in <module>
    from .visitors import Visitable
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\sql\visitors.py", line 28, in <module>
    from .. import util
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from .compat import callable, cmp, reduce,  \
  File "c:\octoprint\venv\lib\site-packages\sqlalchemy\util\compat.py", line 172, in <module>
    time_func = time.clock
AttributeError: module 'time' has no attribute 'clock'

From the Python 3.7 time documentation

time.clock()
[...]
Deprecated since version 3.3, will be removed in version 3.8

The dependency SQLAlchemy is probably pinned that low for Python 2 compatibility (although I haven't looked), I recommend opening an issue on the github repository so that @OllisGit is aware and can fix it.

1 Like

Hi @Charlie_Powell ,

thx a lot for analysing the issue!!!

It doesn't look so good, it will take a lot of effort to make the plugin Python 3.8 ready.
For the records here is the plugin-issue link:

1 Like

No worries, that's what we're here for :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: