Firmware upgrade help (Anet A8)

Well, it's not a heaping pile of slag in the middle of my workbench. I guess that's good

If anybody is listening and knows how to use Arduino IDE, PLEASE step up and help us solve the quandry of the unupdated Anet A8 debacle

You don't need to have an actual Arduino board, just the software known as IDE

I don't even care if you don't tell me how to compile it. Just post the compiled firmware

Please

Pretty please

I promise, I'll even be nice, for, like, a full hour

(Does that answer your question @Ruthalas ? )

2 Likes

One thing that could be a stumbling block and I have not seen mentioned in this thread is the Arduino board definition for the ANET motherboard. This is not part of the Marlin download but needs to be added to your Arduino installation before you can use Arduino to upload Marlin to your board.

You can download this board definition from https://github.com/SkyNet3D/anet-board - don't get hung up on the fact that it says 'SkyNet' - you also need this board definition for Marlin (or any other firmware).

Thank you. Sadly, those are all the same files I already have

What I'm needing (I think) is a proper 'Arduino.h' file because I keep getting

pins for this chip not defined in Arduino.h
error when attempting to compile it

So what I'm wondering now is, has anybody seen this board which is labeled V1.5

The questions and answers on the reviews seem conflicting

Okay, here's one that doesn't say auto leveling

Very poor reviews on this one...

If it's not even compiling properly there's something wrong with your Arduino setup. It might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Arduino environment, reinstalling the Anet board file, and trying the example configuration files (in the example_configurations/Anet/A8 directory under the Marlin sources).

No, the Arduino acts as a programmer. So the code is compiled and uploaded THROUGH the Arduino to the ANEt Board , connectd to the Arduino on the SD Card Connector. There are several tutorials out there. This avoids bricking the ANET Board , in case the Bootloader gets overwritten... Which once happened to me before i foung that solutions..to unbrick the board... and now i allways use it ( or used.,..as i am a the latest version anyway ) . By principle, if you have one, you can use any Atmel Programmer for that...but the arduino approach is the cheapest..( 6 Euro or such for an Uno )

see here for instance : http://www.instructables.com/id/HOW-TO-FIX-ANET-BRICKED-BOARD-USING-AN-ARDUINO-UNO/

Hi chap. Did you ever get firmware onto your Anet A8 board?

Sadly, no. I quit playing with the firmware and implemented my own safety precautions

But, I have learned quite a bit about how arduino's IDE works since then, and I could probably give it another try (if I can work it into my schedule. I've had quite the full plate of projects lately)

I found this but it says its not reccomended to flash with it....did you try this way?

https://maikelwever.github.io/marlinbuild/#features

I modified the Anet A8 example config from marlin a bit and flashed it.
No issues :slight_smile:

And I think I used the the skynet board definition.

If anybody still needs help let me know.

yes please. I am pulling my hair out trying to flash a corrupt board.

So by corrupt you mean you corrupted the bootloader and can't flash anymore via usb, right?

well I am using the plugin for octoprint to install the firmware.

The reason I am having to do this is my firmware became corrupted for some reason and I have been told to re flash. See the message at the top of the screen shot.

The next lot of errors come when I try and flash through the plugin.

To clarify I am not using USB to flash but I am trying via the plugin installed in octoprint.

Using this file Marlin_Anet_A8_stable-1.1.9-5cf6c44f4.hex

I see. I have never used this plugin and flashed my printers with a laptop.
Is that not an option for you?

I'll take a look at this plugin. Could be handy :smiley:

it is an option but I was trying to use the simplest. :slight_smile:

My answer might take a while...
Something went wrong on my pc after the last windows update and I got to fix it -.-

Ok I got it now :sunglasses:
Took me a while because I bricked my Anet while testing because I flashed the wrong firmware :expressionless:
Had to burn a new bootloader via isp and now it works again :smiley:

The solution for you should be changing the baudrate for AVRdude to 57600

I have an update anyway. :slight_smile:

I think I found the issue. It might not have been firmware. It looks like it was broken thermistor. Sadly I am in A and E with my wife so can't confirm it all works till tomorrow. :frowning:

I'd been trying to use the arduino to compile the firmware, and then flash it. The problem for me came during the compile where it kept giving me this error...

pins for this chip not defined in Arduino.h

and that error interrupted the compile. I tried a number of arduino.h files, but they all were either the same file downloaded from different locations, or gave the same error. I never got as far as actually trying to upload it to the Anet controller board whether that be thru the arduino or thru the octoprint plugin

I figured that if it didn't compile, I certainly wasn't going to try to upload it

Install this board definition

and select it before compiling

hope it works for you :slight_smile:

1 Like